Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I was stupid cancelling a week at Luray, KOA for end of October thinking another obligation was going to keep me away longer. I tried the KOA reservation system to find holes, unsuccessfully. I like going this time of year to catch fall colors, autumn weather, and chill out in my fav location. I called them and there were several windows of availability oddly. So I got in for a week starting the 7th. There was an earlier window but I have other obligations that I can't change (RV inspection, etc.). So the TIP is...call if you want to go somewhere even if the web system says nothing available.

It has been my experience that calling a campground directly is the best way to secure reservations, as well. Granted my campground needs are more specific than most.

our normal MO as well, try online but move to direct contact if not successful. Usually works well, but we were skunked coming back from factory recently due to Fall Festivals....... I hate those 700 mile bomb runs, takes me a couple of days (and many beers) to recover.

Sometimes you can game it by doing a 1-2 day reservation to find the holes then expand the dates. I didn't try that. If you go for 7 day periods you won't find the availability.

Recently booked a weekend through the Washington State park website for a space about an hour from home. The booking went fine but as the date approached we noticed the weather was turning for the worst. I went back to the website and canceled the reservation which the site acknowledged. On the date I was supposed to arrive I received a call from the park ranger asking if I was going to arrive. I informed the Ranger that I had canceled the reservation several days ago. They had no record of my cancelation. They ultimately refunded my deposit but I learned not to trust the website.

It has been my experience that calling a campground directly is the best way to secure reservations, as well. Granted my campground needs are more specific than most.
I always call unless the campground is only online, which is rare. I find we can usually get a spot that fits our needs as far as size, satellite etc. I also print a copy of the e-mail confirmation, and have it with me when I register. Twice, they have told me that we do not have a reservation, and I just hand them the copy. Judy

Latest resources

Back