Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Bought these long ago before I got my RV and for some reason they're somewhere I'm not. Ordered 3 of these as I am tired of opening the refrigerator door waiting for the surprise at the end of each drive. Today I used these, 3 of them, and everything was exactly in place.

refer-rods.png

They wear out quickly. I have found using organizing containers is superior with non skid material on the shelf (aka shelf liners)

I used the containers for years until the beginning of this trip. I've enjoyed not having them as I can put more stuff in the frig, however, that stuff has been a bowling alley. Yeah, these rods feel don't feel the sturdiest but we'll see how long it lasts. Always changing something up...

I buy the Camco double bars and gently pop off the plastic piece that holds the bars in pairs. It tends to be cheaper that way as I only use them as singles.

I get the longer ones (for use horizontally) and the short ones (used vertically) for the upright freezer, the refrigerators and cabinets, amongst other places. I have used them as vertical countertop paper towel holders. I used them to hold some ventilated shelving vertically across the linen closet shelves to make two "dirty clothes" bins.

My bars range in age from 15 years old to <1 year old (Had to buy for the truck camper that was bought last summer). I tend to replace them when I lose them. I've not had one "wear out". I'm not even sure how they can "wear out". Maybe over extend? I try to extend mine as little as possible because I feel that the rods are strongest when they are extended no more than 6 inches more than the shortest length of the rod. For example I use the 34" bars (19" to 34") in my freezer which is actually 23" wide on the interior. The interiors of the refrigerators in my bus are a little over 17" wide and I use the 28" bars (16" to 28"). The refrigerator/freezer in the truck camper is 18" wide and the bars in it are also the 28" bars (16" to 28").

I do clean the rubber caps in soapy water every so often. The bars themselves get wiped down with a damp cloth and dried. I don't even take them out of the freezer or refrigerator. I just push them next to a shelf where they are out of the way and when I'm ready to travel, I pull them back into place.

Bought these long ago before I got my RV and for some reason they're somewhere I'm not. Ordered 3 of these as I am tired of opening the refrigerator door waiting for the surprise at the end of each drive. Today I used these, 3 of them, and everything was exactly in place.

View attachment 15324
Did you do anything special to keep them in place? Mine fall off almost every time I take something from the shelf. Why on earth don't they make RV Refrigerator shelves with a lip on the outside edge? Or at least a flip down edge....I guess that could be my million dollar idea! ;o)

Did you do anything special to keep them in place?
Yes, you have to twist the one side that extends/retracts so it expands so it holds itself in place. Works great.

Did that….Maybe I got a batch of bad ones. None of them stay in place. Thanks though

Latest resources

Back