• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Dry Weights

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Just my .02 the UVW will change with the weather. I get the concern with UVW, even if the only concern is payload!

So with payload, we want to load what we feel important, right?
GCVW is the number we should consider when looking for the tow vehicle. For that matter how we load, but just as important is can we take the barbie right?

If we only camp in cooler climate we may for go the A/C so we can take the gas fireplace, or the other way around...

Simply put, I get the concern about UVW, the payload should be my choice.

UVW for a camper < generic term I use for fifth wheels and travel trailers, well, they are weighed each individually when done reason why same exact models will weigh two different weights sometimes on a lot…..I have seen this personally with exact same equipment. The reason being, if stick and tin build, the wood used on one may be more cured and less wet than another model built. The other thing could be as Kevin eluded is weather change from day to day as well. That is why when you go to buy, make sure your tow vehicle for whatever you are looking to is quite a bit more rated in towing and payload capacity. Never cut that close! We all know a vehicle’s weight ratings have fudge room because manufacturers know people will push the envelope all the time.

Payload is king in my opinion and that rating the one you pay the most attention to.

I know that I am late to this thread game. I was so focused on the UVW and GVWR on all potential units that we were considering. That all changed when I picked up my 23LDE and brought it home. The day before we picked up our unit, I loaded our truck to include the tank as if we were going to use it to travel. I then went to my local CAT scale and weighed the truck. That gave me a baseline for one part of this equation. I took a picture of the weigh sticker on the unit that we were preparing to purchase. I knew that the UVW and Gross weight was in my ball park.

We picked up our unit after our walk through and headed home, but with one pit stop. I drove to the same CAT scale and weighed the truck & trailer. Now, I had an internally empty trailer plus a battery, two propane tanks full and about 1/4 tank (or less) of fresh water. To my surprise, the trailer weighed in at about 250+/- less than the UVW. I was taken back a bit until I called and found out about the "average UVW" weights listed on the factory sticker.

Since this first weigh, we have loaded the trailer to about 95% of things the wife and I want/need and taken it to the CAT scales again. I was still surprised at my weight......I currently sit with about 1,000 +/- lbs before I hit my gross loaded weight. The reason the weight surprised me was that I was told by two sales people to expect about 1,000 lbs of personal stuff in weight. So, I was careful until I weighed the unit......liars!

So, moral of my story.....do your homework on the weight you can tow and the trailers you are looking to purchase. And, weigh your tow rig before you buy because payload will need to be considered. Weight your trailer after purchase and when you load it to make sure you are within your limits.

God forbid you get involved in an incident the accident investigation team will snap a picture of your factory sticker. Having those CAT scale receipts can be important.

Happy trails!

Latest resources

Back