• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Dual deep cycle batteries not lasting through the night - is something wrong

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
By changing from incandescent bulbs to LED bulbs, you will have the same amount of light, the same color of light, and reduce your current consumption for lighting from your batteries by 90%.

Bob

Agree 100% with most of what was already said here. LEDs and leaving the fridge on propane is the way to go. If you really want to take the mystery out of what your electrical system is doing, wire in a good monitor that will tell you voltage, watt input and usage, etc. It eliminates all the guesswork.

Another consideration, for when your batteries get worn out is to switch from lead acid to LifePo4. A 100ah LifePo4 battery can be discharged 90% without excessive damage, as opposed to 50% for lead acid. That gives you effectively 80% more usage out of a single charge. Yes, LifePo4 is expensive - but they're touted to last 10 years and they weigh much less than lead acid so are easier to handle.

The most time I've ever gotten out of lead acid is 8 years, but more often less than that. I would never replace them on a two-year schedule though. You can tell when they're getting ready to be retired by how low the voltage is drawn down, even with relatively light loads. I'm at almost 8 years on my two lead acid batteries now and, although they are getting weaker, they still work and don't leave me without power. They've been well maintained, getting fully recharged daily (on solar) and water level checked regularly.

But I'll be going with LifePo4 next time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back