Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Mjenkins

RVF Newbee
I would like to ask all you folks with 40‘ plus fifth wheels how much difference is there between the dually and single rear wheel when towing?
Thanks

A Dually makes the tow very stable, the truck tracks like it is on rails.

If you go by the postings on this and other forums, there are not many 40' 5th wheels that are suitable to be towed with a SWR 1 ton. The F350's I have looked at appear to have a cargo weight of about 3,600#. I would guess that GM and Dodge are about the same, but I haven't confirmed that. This being the case, when you add 400# of people, tools etc. to the truck you are at 3,200 max for a pin weight. Now use the formula which seems to be the norm on most forums of 80% total capacity and you have an allowable pin weight of about 2,500#. Most 40' 5th wheels that I have looked at have an empty pin weight of 2,500 to 2,600. Loaded you are going to be looking at 3,200 to 3,500 I would guess. Based on this conventional forum wisdom you really can't pull a 40' 5th wheel with a 1 ton SRW if you go by the specs and formulas.

Do yourself a favor and get the dually. You'll really appreciate it when the wind blows. ;)

I have a 38' fiver and have towed with both SRW and DRW. With the SRW by mid afternoon on a breezy day I was wore out. With the DRW I have traveled all day in a 30 mph side wind without much issue other than the fuel mileage sucked...........

Latest resources

Back