• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

TWS

RVF Newbee
Good morning all,
My wife and I are planning a 4-6 month RV journey across & through the states following my upcoming retirement. We'll likely be doing this somewhere in the months between April & October of 2024 or 2025. We're very health, active, early 60's, and not interested in the long term RV lifestyle. It's simply been a dream of mine to do this since I was a young boy after a short RV trip to upper Michigan with my family. I've shared this vision with my wife, kids, and friends for years and as the time gets closer, many are still asking "you're not really gonna do this are you?" My wife understands how important this is to me and has (reluctantly years ago, now embracingly) agreed to start the planning of this journey.
All that said, I'm beginning to think of all of the options and decisions we'll need to make. The first one will be renting or buying. The advice I've seen on simple google searches of rent vs. buy remains confusing, often conflicting, and filled with ads or snake oil salesmen. I'm simply looking for input from real people who have much more experience with RV's to assist in the coming year as we plan. Is it relatively simply to buy a nice vehicle and have a general idea what you'd be able to sell that vehicle for 4-6 months later (and is it easy to sell?). Or can one rent a relatively nice RV for that length of time for less than the depreciation of a purchased vehicle. At this point I'm a complete novice, not very auto-mechanically inclined, and looking for a lower maintenance trip. I'm comfortable with a larger vehicle but don't necessarily want to have to tow another vehicle to get around in cities we might visit and deal with all that comes with towing. I'm certain there are other factors that will need to be involved and questions we'll have to ask ourselves as this process rolls on-I'm simply getting a very early head start on it. Thanks in advance for any input you can offer.

Good morning all,
My wife and I are planning a 4-6 month RV journey across & through the states following my upcoming retirement. We'll likely be doing this somewhere in the months between April & October of 2024 or 2025. We're very health, active, early 60's, and not interested in the long term RV lifestyle. It's simply been a dream of mine to do this since I was a young boy after a short RV trip to upper Michigan with my family. I've shared this vision with my wife, kids, and friends for years and as the time gets closer, many are still asking "you're not really gonna do this are you?" My wife understands how important this is to me and has (reluctantly years ago, now embracingly) agreed to start the planning of this journey.
All that said, I'm beginning to think of all of the options and decisions we'll need to make. The first one will be renting or buying. The advice I've seen on simple google searches of rent vs. buy remains confusing, often conflicting, and filled with ads or snake oil salesmen. I'm simply looking for input from real people who have much more experience with RV's to assist in the coming year as we plan. Is it relatively simply to buy a nice vehicle and have a general idea what you'd be able to sell that vehicle for 4-6 months later (and is it easy to sell?). Or can one rent a relatively nice RV for that length of time for less than the depreciation of a purchased vehicle. At this point I'm a complete novice, not very auto-mechanically inclined, and looking for a lower maintenance trip. I'm comfortable with a larger vehicle but don't necessarily want to have to tow another vehicle to get around in cities we might visit and deal with all that comes with towing. I'm certain there are other factors that will need to be involved and questions we'll have to ask ourselves as this process rolls on-I'm simply getting a very early head start on it. Thanks in advance for any input you can offer.
I can't imagine that buying any RV with the intention of reselling it after one trip would be a better option than renting. That said, you just might enjoy this so much that you decide to keep it and spend a couple (or six) months on the road in the years after that first trip.

I've been camping since I was a kid, but my wife (of 19 years) had camped exactly once before I met her, and it was a disaster. Our first trip together was a six-week car-camping trip from Tennessee to Spokane, Washington, which we both enjoyed. When I retired in 2015, we left Jacksonville, Florida, for Anchorage, Alaska, and spent the following winter between Las Vegas, Nevada, and Needles, California, before buying our house in Tennessee.

Since then, we've generally taken two major trips a year, mostly out west or in western Canada. We both love it. She is often amazed by the sights we see, even though she needs a home base where she can live a "normal" life between trips.

My recommendation is to rent something for that first trip. If it turns out to be as enjoyable as you expect, maybe the wife will come around, too. Then is the time to buy.

Also, don't be afraid of towing a vehicle behind an RV. It's not nearly as much work as you might imagine, and it gives you the freedom to go places and see things that you'll miss without it. Additionally, you'll hardly know it's there when you're driving.

Good morning all,
I'm with DrBob. But I'll go one further. I recommend renting either a Trailer rig for a week or two and then a Motor Home for a week or two BEFORE YOUR BIG TRIP. I can assure you that breaking and making camp with a motor home (and towed) is usually quicker and easier than at TT and tow so if you plan on moving around lots that might be your best option. That being said, renting a motor home "WITH" a towed might be difficult. Either way, you will have a better idea of what you like should you like traveling enough to jump in with both feet.

I'm sure you will enjoy your trip either way. Good luck and safe travels.

Darrell

Life is temporary!!!
That is the bottom line. I suggest buying from a private seller. Why?
I'm glad you asked!
If you buy from a private seller, you will know what you can sell it for in a year, and know that the largest part of depreciation has already been accounted for.

You don't have to worry about falling in love, and overpaying for the rig because you can look at it as a tool to accomplish your bucket list project. (6 months) is a short time, keep that in mind while you shop and bargain. It is not your dream purchase, it is the bucket, that holds the promise of your dreams!!!
After you have fulfilled your dream, offer the rig for what you paid.

Small accommodations mean the tow vehicle (if you think trailer), could be the vehicle you're planning to buy to retire with.

One major reason to buy is, if you choose to extend your travels, you have already purchased!!!

Give yourself time if you buy to make sure all systems are working trouble free.

Well said Kevin. I would also add that doing the math, you would spend a considerable sum renting for four to six months, far more than you might lose if you decide to sell the rig and possibly take a minor loss, even taking sales tax, registration and insurance into consideration.

Cruise America for example charges $206/night for a “standard” (basic) mid sized Class C which would be ok, but probably lacking in some areas. And from fooling around on their website, it seems they have a three month limit. So given that, and that six months at $200/day is…., well you get the idea.

You could probably find a rental for that long, and maybe for less $$, but looking at that level of expenditure, I’d say take the advice above and see where your new rig takes you. Also have you considered a travel trailer rather than a motorhome? For your situation it might make more sense.

One other suggestion, especially if you go the buy route, buy early. RVs tend to have issues. If you buy one that's been regularly used, "maybe" the issues will be less and handled as they came up, but it would be good to buy, 4-6 months before your trip, take a few short trips to make sure you are familiar with the RV and give all systems a good shake down. Depending on the time of year, it can be hard to get into RV shops for work, so that has to be factored in as well.

Life is temporary!!!
That is the bottom line. I suggest buying from a private seller. Why?
I'm glad you asked!
If you buy from a private seller, you will know what you can sell it for in a year, and know that the largest part of depreciation has already been accounted for.

You don't have to worry about falling in love, and overpaying for the rig because you can look at it as a tool to accomplish your bucket list project. (6 months) is a short time, keep that in mind while you shop and bargain. It is not your dream purchase, it is the bucket, that holds the promise of your dreams!!!
After you have fulfilled your dream, offer the rig for what you paid.

Small accommodations mean the tow vehicle (if you think trailer), could be the vehicle you're planning to buy to retire with.

One major reason to buy is, if you choose to extend your travels, you have already purchased!!!

Give yourself time if you buy to make sure all systems are working trouble free.
Thanks Kevin--much to digest and all good points!

Well said Kevin. I would also add that doing the math, you would spend a considerable sum renting for four to six months, far more than you might lose if you decide to sell the rig and possibly take a minor loss, even taking sales tax, registration and insurance into consideration.

Cruise America for example charges $206/night for a “standard” (basic) mid sized Class C which would be ok, but probably lacking in some areas. And from fooling around on their website, it seems they have a three month limit. So given that, and that six months at $200/day is…., well you get the idea.

You could probably find a rental for that long, and maybe for less $$, but looking at that level of expenditure, I’d say take the advice above and see where your new rig takes you. Also have you considered a travel trailer rather than a motorhome? For your situation it might make more sense.
Thanks Rich--yes we're really locked into the motorhome idea for numerous reasons. The decision is rent vs. buy, and you and Kevin make good points on the buy advantages. We've got time to process!

Latest resources

Back