• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Eisenhower Tunnel

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
You didn't mention what your destination is but I will give you an idea here and then a couple of tips......C-470 is a highway that makes almost a complete circle (about 270 deg) and goes around all Denver suburbs. It is named C-470 west of I-25 and E-470 (toll road) east of I-25.
I-25 runs N-S and I-70 runs W-E. If you plan to keep going East after Denver you have two options depending on your bearing once you pass Denver.
If you head NE, then you pick up I-76 right after I-70 crosses I-25.
If you head SE then you stay on I-70 or when you come down from the mountains on I-70.
Either of these two options you will end up at what we call the "mouse trap" which is the intersection of I-70 and I-25, Heavy traffic most of the day. Traffic is heavy a mile before I-25 and a couple of miles after. Once you pass Colorado Blvd, I-70 widens and you are in the clear.
I hope this explanation makes sense.
Safe travels!
It does help, thank you. My main motive is getting through (around?) Denver traveling east-west on 70. Is it worth going around and the extra miles or just grind through on 70.

Just wanted to update this; it really was a non-event.

We had spent almost a week dry camping on a ranch outside of Walden CO which was wonderful. Brisk mornings and warm afternoons, what a contrast to DFW. Moose, Antelope, Bison and cattle beautiful.

Came down 14 to Kremmling and Silverthorne where we picked up I-70. Started climbing, pretty much stayed in the right lane by the time we were at the top we were doing 34mph and cars were zipping past like we were standing still.
The way down was awesome, set the engine brake on MAX geared down 2 gears and for 90+% coasted down the hill. Had a couple of brake applications but nothing special.

Thanks everyone for the advice, we enjoyed it.

Latest resources

Back