Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Electric brakes on 1,500 lb. Rockwood popup?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

jbstevens

RVF Regular
We have a 2013 Subaru Outback with Class III hitch, 2" ball. We are looking at purchasing a popup after not owning one for many years. The Popup we're looking at is the Rockwood Freedom, model 1940 LTD. There is an option to get electric brakes on the camper which has a dry weight of approx, 1,500 lbs. Do we need electric brakes? And if we do decide to get the electric brakes on the popup, do we have to do anything to the Outback? Please advise.

We have a 2013 Subaru Outback with Class III hitch, 2" ball. We are looking at purchasing a popup after not owning one for many years. The Popup we're looking at is the Rockwood Freedom, model 1940 LTD. There is an option to get electric brakes on the camper which has a dry weight of approx, 1,500 lbs. Do we need electric brakes? And if we do decide to get the electric brakes on the popup, do we have to do anything to the Outback? Please advise.
Most states require trailer brakes on anything over 3000 lbs. My main concern with your setup is the light weight of the tow vehicle. If I didnt do any high mountain traveling with the setup I wouldn't worry about it.

You did not state if you have the 6 cylinder which does not have the CVT transmission

if you have the 4 cylinder this is my 2 cents worth. I own two independent Subaru repair shops if that helps what I’m going to say sink in. Take $6000 and buy a decent pick up to tow your trailer with. That will be the least amount of money replacing the CVT transmission in your current Subaru will run not to mention theres a huge shortage of them right now so you might be without your car for a bit while a trans is being sourced.

I recommend anyone thats towing more than 1000 small utility trailers with Subarus to re think there thinking. Its not even good for my business when you burn of that transmission because there so much money dealing with he grief customers are going through when they fail kills any profits I might make from the repairs and used transmissions are so risky that that option is even worse the success rate of them lately has been less than 50%

I could throw out another 5 to 10 more reasons not to drag anything that heavy with a Subaru because your not towing it your dragging it. Dragging is a hard physical act done when you can barely handle the event towing is pulling something with enough force to overcome the resistance created by that something a Subaru does not TOW anything over 2000 pounds regardless of what any specs are by anyone who’s trying to sell you a car by telling you what you want to here. Hitches on Subarus are for carrying bikes or a small cargo rack. But thats just my opinion.

Latest resources

Back