Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Turtleman

RVF Newbee
Afternoon, I have a 1996 Jayco Eagle and been having some issues with the power. With the camper plugged into prime power the 12v lights are all dim except when the water pump kicks on and then they get bright. All of the electrical outlets are working correctly and I have checked all the breakers and fuses. I have checked my battery and it is holding a 13.1v charge too. I am thinking it is a inverter or converter issues, but I am unsure which this camper has or if it could be the issue. Wondering if anyone has had this issue or and advise on the next course of action I should thank. Thanks in advance!

This screams being a ground side of the system problem. With the water pump on, your lighting is using that as a source of DC return. I'd start by cleaning up all connections in your electrical system. Some wires may look and test good for continuity but might only have one good strand of copper inside the insulation.

And just because a battery indicates 13.1 volts is no reason to believe that it can deliver a lot of amps. Volts x amps = watts . . . power . . . the ability to do useful work.

Charge the battery up and then get it "load tested" at an auto parts store.

Rick

Latest resources

Back