• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

treyspooner65

RVF Newbee
Vehicle is a 2018 Mallard M245.

When plugged into shoreline, should the 12v items work even without a battery? I know the 120 is supposed to charge the battery, but if the battery is disconnected or totally dead, will shoreline power the 12v stuff?

I have a bad battery and I'm trying to determine if I also have a charger/inverter issue.

If you have a bad battery, then the 25A fuses on your converter are likely blown.
Your electrical system needs both the inverter and the battery(ies) for 12vdc And some of the components need both 12vdc and 120vac to operate.
The converter/inverter/charger (they go by so many names) may be designed to only charge your battery, not run the 12vdc appliances.
So first, if you know that your battery is bad, replace it.

I've been running 12v in my 5th wheel off the converter/charger for 12 years, without a battery installed. But this is an old rig (1994) with an old Magnatek 40A converter/charger. It may not work that way with the newer ones. Which converter/charger do you have?

Vehicle is a 2018 Mallard M245.

When plugged into shoreline, should the 12v items work even without a battery? I know the 120 is supposed to charge the battery, but if the battery is disconnected or totally dead, will shoreline power the 12v stuff?

I have a bad battery and I'm trying to determine if I also have a charger/inverter issue.
So, the converter charges the battery, and supplies house power.
An inverter supplies ac power from the battery bank.
You seem to be having a converter problem. It may be as simple as improperly connected battery cables. Or tripped breaker.

For my system the house battery has two wires on both terminals, your system may have more or less wires.

So one of the battery sets connect the converter to the battery, the other set supplies the house loads. You may also have wire sets that run to charge the battery while underway.

I quit trying to trace wires when harbor freight started selling a tone generator/wand set. For practically nothing. Start by checking for voltage at the lugs at the converter.

Latest resources

Back