Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Engine Block Heater Plug-in - What does it do?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
On my 2017 Newmar Ventana, left aft basement is a plug that when plugged in it engages the engine block heater for cold weather ops. It's a high amp draw so it should be used only when needed for example tonight I'll plug it in for tomorrow's departure.

I've heard of some configuring the OASIS to be an engine pre-heat loop which seems to be different?

What exactly is happening when I plug in the engine heater plug on my Newmar Ventana? Is it coming from OASIS or is it a separate electrical heating system?

I believe it is a separate heating element in the engine block; no connection to Oasis. I also believe that Oasis has a connection to the engine cooling system and that can be used to heat the coach when traveling. Whether you can reverse that cycle and pre-heat the engine with Oasis is unknown to me.

You probably also have a switch on the dash to activate/deactivate the block heater receptacle in the engine compartment...at least, there is in our coach. Be sure to check or your block heater may not be active.

TJ

Here is a brief discussion on the pre-heat topic

And installation of option

Using pre heat user manual chapter 8.8

A block heater will heat the oil in the oil pan in cold climates to make diesel engines easier to start. This was especially important about 30-50 years ago when diesel engines were mechanically injected and very hard to start. Modern day diesel engines are computerized and most have a high pressure rail injection system that starts almost as soon as you turn the key. The Cummins engines in the Ram trucks I sell will start to -20 degrees below zero with no starting aids,. Therefore when I spec out the trucks I sell I never put a block heater on the engine unless the customer specifically asks for it. I mean if it's -20 degrees in Georgia or anywhere in the Southeast where I sell my trucks, chances are the roads are impassable anyway!!! :ROFLMAO:

Another thing while we're on the subject.............It's a pet peeve of mine I guess. Why do guys with diesel trucks leave them running all the time?? They never shut them off!!! Even while getting fuel, they leave them running. In the convenience store? They leave them running. You know why??? Because back in their Grandfather's day their old diesel farm truck or tractor trailer was hard to start. So they left them running. THERE IS NO REASON TODAY TO LEAVE YOUR DIESEL ENGINE RUNNING IF YOU ARE PARKED!!!! Like I said above, with electronic fuel injection and computers these modern diesel engines start instantly!!

OK. I feel better. :LOL:

One reason to let them idle is to cool the turbo. If you shut them down with a hot turbo you run the risk of having the oil in the turbo cook and form coke. That will cause the bearings to fail prematurely. Remember, even at an idle the turbo is spinning at about 10,000 (yes, ten thousand) RPM and in a hard pull it could be in the vicinity of 160,000 RPMs!!

Latest resources

Back