Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
About mid February I got the diesel level down to the fuel low indicator and that's fine, been there a time or two before. It showed properly. After the last time I got that low on diesel my fuel gauge has been acting erratically with needle swings and low fuel warnings when I know I have a half tank of diesel. I sent an email off to FCCC to see what they say but I'm curious if anyone else has seen this.

The second video you can see at the very end in the last 5 seconds of the video how the low fuel indicator comes on when I'm no where near low fuel.

I got word back from FCCC and they think it may be a faulty fuel gauge. The last leg was stable, will continue to monitor between now and September annual service appointment in Gaffney.

Why would anyone run the fuel low. I almost never go below 1/2 on any vehicle. Keeps the concentration of booggies low and minimizes suck them into the engine. :unsure:

Why would anyone run the fuel low. I almost never go below 1/2 on any vehicle. Keeps the concentration of booggies low and minimizes suck them into the engine. :unsure:
I know my range and know what's up ahead, as long as you plan properly what's wrong with that? I may be trying to make a T/A Petro where I recently saved over $60 in discounts instead of saving all of $7 at my recent Love's stop. Same with flying airplanes, know your range and plan accordingly. Stop too often and it wastes a lot of time but yes, it can give you peace of mind in having plenty of fuel on board. It's rare I go below 1/4, maybe twice in four years now and yeah, pucker factor comes into play wondering how accurate it is. But now I'm getting intermittent low fuel warnings with 1/2 tank, or I did during the video and a time or two prior to that.

While the problem hasn't occurred again recently, during my recent FL annual service at Gaffney I gave them the info and suggestion from their email support team that the fuel gauge needed to be replaced. Tech didn't agree but instead replaced the sending unit. This required dropping the tank to replace, 3 hours labor. Covered under the FL extended warranty. No issues post FL service so all appears well.

I don't have the fuel fluctuations you described but my fuel gauge is definitely not accurate. It never shows full even with a full tank. When filled the gauge drops to half tank 10X faster than it moves from half tank to empty. Because of that I typically use milage to base my fuel stops ... typically around 600 miles or 1/4 tank on the gauge.

Mine does that too, or did that. I'm watching to see if there is anything different. Prior to the sending unit it would go slightly below the full mark when filled. It would then move to the half position and stay there I'm guessing 1/4 of a tank in duration, then move down below 1/2. I think now though in about 2-3 tanks worth it is moving steadily and not hovering at the 1/2 point. I do trust, even prior to this service, the readings below 1/2. I've gotten pretty low at times and the fill amount verifies the reading.

Latest resources

Back