Freightliner
Engine
400hp
TOW/TOAD
2007 CR-V
Fulltimer
No
Hi all,

I park my RV in my yard but we live in a very wooded neighborhood so I wonder if I should cover the exhaust pipe of the main engine to keep out squirrels/mice/birds from making a home in there. I have not had an issue yet, but don't want one. I have tried to use screen to cover it, but due to the challenging shape of the opening, it is not an easy fit. I covered the generator pipe, but that was easy to do with screen and cable ties.

Has anyone had this issue or come up with a good idea to cover it? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks
Rich

If you are concerned about it (never gave it any thought but, fair enough) I would take a HD baggie and a rubber band...

The opening is very oblong and I don't think a bag would cover it. Maybe a small garbage bag...

No pictures?

Can you make a plate,and loop a couple springs on it so when you push it in internal spring pressure holds it in?

I used to use a piece of window screen folded around th end of the pipe and held on by a couple of zip ties.

Critters might make a nest in the tail pipe but thats as far as they’d get and you’d blow them out the first time you started it. There’s no way they could get past the last stage of the emissions system (the SCR) which ends in a monolith honeycomb, so they couldn’t do any damage other than making a mess when you start it up.

Last edited:
Jut put few mothballs inside. The smell will keep them out.

Critters mike make a nest in the tail pipe but thats as far as they’d get and you’d blow them out the first time you started it. There’s no way they could get past the last stage of the emissions system (the SCR) which ends in a monolith honeycomb, so they couldn’t do any damage other than making a mess when you start it up.
This was my thought too…. Didn’t know if I was making a problem where there isn’t one…

Rodents getting into other areas though could be a real problem, especially up front where there are lots of tasty wires to chew up. Rodent damage can be considerable. I’ve tried sticky traps at the wheels but they loose effectiveness after a week or so outside. I’ve also used baits like decon at the wheels so they get the fill and leave in search of water but this has pros and cons too. And of course traps are a one time use approach. But that would be my concern. I’ve had them do minor damage to a parked car, but they chewed through the emissions wiring harness on my neighbor’s LTV which could have been a serious problem for him if he didn’t live next door to a shade tree mechanic 😉

I agree that is a major concern. I have also deployed things such as bait stations (which surprisingly get few nibbles) and ultrasonic devices (useless). I also have traps inside the Rv and the compartments hoping they go for that instead of the wires…. So far, 7+ years and counting with no issues. I have had more mice in the attic than the RV. :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back