Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

joyful

RVF Regular
Here is what we have on order from Ford. It's in production now and the "Blend Date" was ~week ago.
F150 Platinum High (a slew of packages included - like bed utility, co-pilot 360, etc.)
4x2, 3.5ecoboost, 10 sp tranny, 3.55 axle ratio
Power deplorable running boards
Max tow package
Twin panel moon roof
Tow mirrors
Power tailgate with step

I could not live without a moon roof but know it adds ~100#. I wanted a smooth ride with a fairly quiet interior. It may also be used as a daily driver for stuff around town that will not fit in our car. We expect to camp possibly once a month for a week at a time with once a year much longer (3 wks). So not any full timing.
My question now will be what travel trailer is within my reach? I've read a lot about payload and know it will be the limiting factor. When traveling for a camping trip, the only "cargo" will be ~400# of passengers including the driver. No extra things in the bed but maybe a couple of lawn chairs.

So far, we have looked at Lance (on paper only), Flagstaff, Keystone, Grand Design and a couple others we have eliminated due to floor plans.

Any input will be appreciated.

Here is the part of the window sticker that has info. I've looked online at pictures of yellow door tags from F150 King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited trims. Best I've been able to determine is our payload capacity should be between 1,350 - 1,550 pounds. Hopefully the higher.
window sticker pertinate info.jpg

That's going to be a great truck...............except for the engine. The twin turbo Ecoboost has 10.5:1 compression AND boost from the turbo's so it will require 93 octane premium fuel. That's going to cost you a ton extra over the life of the vehicle. They also raised the boost from 15 to 17.5 lbs and turn the twin turbos at 17,000 RPM!!! This is going to create so much heat (especially while towing) that you really need to keep an eye on the temp gauge. And the heat from twin turbos will also require FULL SYNTHETIC oil which is also extremely expensive over the life of the vehicle. Be warned, if you use regular oil the turbos will cause a process called "coking". Turbos spinning 17,000 RPM generate so much heat they almost glow in the dark. So when you turn the engine off and the turbo is no longer spinning, the heat soaks into everything..............including your oil. Regular oil is not made to sustain such heat so it "cokes" or turns to tar. Imagine your expensive modern marvel of technology getting clogged up with tar??? I think this engine would be good for a muscle car but for a truck that is working it's butt off towing extremely heavy loads??? Not so much. This engine is being worked to within an inch of it's life to push out enough HP and TQ to be able to tow equivalent loads that the big V8 engines and diesel do. It's being pushed so hard that I think the longevity will be hurt. I've been selling Commercial trucks for 30 years so I know quite a bit about trucks and towing and engines and transmissions. The Ecoboost would be a good engine for an F-150 pickup that you just drive around and occasionally carry something in the bed. But for towing? It would be my last choice.

Latest resources

Back