• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Extended Warranty

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Do you have an extended warranty on your RV currently or had one previously when you bought your RV?

• Total voters

sheridany

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Prevost
RV Model
Marathon #1361
RV Length
Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I have had 3 coaches and on every single one I bought an extended warranty and have never used them as I have not had a need to YET. The good news is I got a good portion of my money back on the first two so not a total loss. They seem like a bad idea unless you are really using your coach a lot and then there are coverage limits where not everything is covered. I am curious to know if RV owners buy them when they buy an RV or just another finance "gimme".

When we bought our 2017 DS I did purchase an extended warranty as it was our first higher end coach. Currently trying to decide if it is necessary on 2020 DS. Typically I don’t buy extended warranty on anything; cars, TV or other electronics.

Bought one when I bought my '04 Mountain Aire. A 4 year warranty! Fortunately, didn't have to use it.
Sold the coach about a year after purchase. Got back just a shade over 75% of the price.
Thinking I'll buy a "coach" only warranty when the factory warranty gets ready to expire! Chassis has a 3 year warranty!
Then can upgrade at the end of the chassis warranty!
In my opinion, IF you have one or two claims, they usually pay for themselves!
And until I bought the first coach, I had never bought any type extended warranty! But repairs, electronics, a/c units, and other replacement items, can get expensive in a hurry!
Everyone's mechanical knowledge, ability, & needs differ!

We bought an extended warranty for the 2014 Ventana LE because we were not the original owners (though the coach only had 3,500 miles on it when we bought it). Newmar does not transfer the one-year coach warranty to a subsequent owner, though both Cummins and Freightliner did. That was the only extended warranty we ever bought, and we never used it while we had the VLE.

We have always preferred to self-warranty and I think that over the years it has paid off. Insurance, in any form, is just like gambling in the end; the "house" always takes in more than it pays out. If it didn't, it would be out of business. Now, that's not to say that there are not winners in either endeavor, but there will always be more losers.

TJ

Trying to cancel the one on my old coach now. They don't make it easy. Never used it. Whatever went wrong was to small, not covered or so huge that the manufacturer stepped in and remedied the situation. Perhaps they put it through the extended. I don't know, but I doubt it. So I took a chance with Newmar and did not get it.

I generally do not get these, except on my last two SUV's -again essentially did not need it there either.

If you look at the pricing structure, with ~50% of fee going to the writer, then factor in the soft costs, there is not much left to apply to "Claims". Therefor, in order for these policies to be profitable, the items covered must be very rare events.
We have decided to take the money we would spend on a Extended Warranty and put it in a separate account, for emergency repairs. If you keep up on maintenance, having a catastrophic failure is very rare. From what I have read, DP drivetrains are designed for 500K to 1M miles, the gas F53 is designed for 2-300k+ miles.

Latest resources

Back