RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
New Aire
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler 2D Sport
TLDR; WOW!!!!!

My cellular setup consists of a MoFi 4500 with directional antennas (Proxicast). In general, I've had to use them about 50% of the locations I've been at to get the speeds I need (at LEAST 8 down and 5 up; preferably 12 down 8 up). Usually I deploy the antenna to improve upload speeds .. it doesn't often affect download (only in long-distance situations). I'm now at Campland on the Bay in San Diego. The cell tower is very close by (4-5 bars outside the RV). I tried Verizon, TMobile, and ATT, and consistently had relatively poor performance ... download: 15 meg at midnight at 4-5 during the day; upload was always at least 15, usually 20+. It's been hampering my ability to work. Considering the signal strength I had and the upload speeds, I didn't have much hope .. but, for the heck of it, I pulled out the antenna (I really need permanent rooftop antennas!) and OMG. My download speeds are now in the 30-40's! And it's holding steady even at 7pm. I was beginning to think I would have to relocate (very difficult this time of year) for my 4-month Winter stay. Saved! There's obviously a lot of physical interference here, despite the strong signal. My iPhone 10+ which sometimes outperforms the MiFi (as we know it can) is getting 7 right now while the MiFi is getting 33 (both on Verizon). I wish I did this yesterday before I downloaded the OS X Catalina upgrade (5 gig) or any of the other 500 meg files I had to retrieve for work.

FWIW I did swap back and forth between the paddles and the external antennas and the results are repeatable.

Just curious; is OS X Catalina now clean enough to upgrade too? I always avoid the early versions of an OS upgrade until some of the early bugs get worked out.

tj

Just curious; is OS X Catalina now clean enough to upgrade too? I always avoid the early versions of an OS upgrade until some of the early bugs get worked out.

tj

It's my work-provided laptop and our IT department recently blessed it ... so far so good ... But yeah, I waited until others had already upgraded and tried everything out.

Some apps like Word and Adobe Acrobat Pro will not work with Catalina, and you will be forced into monthly payments of $15-$18+ per devise if you want to still use them. Also my accounting application AccountEdge does not work yet with the upgrade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back