• Commercial/Vendors welcome

F350 v 450

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
It has seemed to me that the F4 50 it’s somewhat limited in additional capabilities as mentioned. Now the F550 can get you up to over 30,000 pounds GCWR, and provide a nice level of overhead. But I believe that’s for commercial applications and I’m not sure what your ordering options are as far as the bed goes. But I always thought if I went back to a fifth wheel that would be a pretty cool way to go.

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...guides/20Towing_Ford_SuperDutyCC_r1_Dec17.pdf

Given that the only place I think I’m close to the line here is pin weight, I’m thinking that it should haul the load just fine. Am I wrong to think that way?

The 21 F350 (the way I’ve configured) is rated to pull up to 34,200lbs. I’d never exceed 80% of that, so that puts my max at 27,360 - still well under the GVWR. Having never towed a 5th wheel, my brain is trying to think about it all logically but I’m second guessing myself wondering if there are unintuitive things about pulling a 5er that I’m not considering.

Being close to the capacity of the rear axle, I’m thinking should just result in maybe a rougher ride? The unit has an air-ride kingpin so that should soften things out as well.

I just don’t see the additional $11K of value in a 21 F450. The only benefits are:
  • 3K pounds more haul capacity - no change in bed capacity
  • Wide track front end
  • 1K lb stiffer springs
  • Increased longevity of 19.5” commercial tires (should last 75k-100k miles)
The drawbacks are:
  • 11K more to jump up to a 450
  • Stiffer ride unloaded as a result of 1k stiffer springs and 19.5” commercial tires
  • Increased maintenance costs
Everything else between the two trucks is the same from everything I can tell. It seems at least with the 21’s, 450s are really only worth it for true commercial use or if you’re really pushing the envelope of a 350’s hauling capacity.

With Ford’s ProTrailer Backup Assist, I’m not sure the increased turning radius of a 450 is that big of a deal because its pretty much a turn of a knob and let the truck do the rest.
John, there are probably 3 or 4 MDT's (medium duty trucks) on sites in our current winter resort that pull larger fivers. A few years ago I rode in a newer model (bob tail) and it certainly was not as smooth riding as my F350 I had at the time. How an MDT rides when hooked up to a fiver I can't comment on because I have zero experience.

I have never considered looking at any F450 models mainly due to the added maintenance cost. One of the benefits of going from my Newmar to a Toy Hauler was to cut maintenance costs by about 80%. I think you are spot on with your pick of trucks.

A lot of people I know carry their generator in the bed of their truck - usually a 3500W. They weigh about 80-100 lbs.

F450 easily wins

Two major factors with the F450; First is brakes they are larger on the 450 and turning radius, it is amazing how much better it is in a 450.

F450 easily wins

Two major factors with the F450; First is brakes they are larger on the 450 and turning radius, it is amazing how much better it is in a 450.
When it comes to brakes, sure the 450 has larger brakes but the 5s all have EoH brakes - some drum, some disc. A lot of people comment on the turning radius and I do think thats important in a tight campground. I’m just betting that Ford’s ProTrailer Backup Assist will make up for it with computer smarts.

I can tell you from experience that the brakes on your fiver matter a whole bunch more than the brakes on your tow vehicle (TV). That is not to say you don't need good brakes on your truck, I'm just saying that what you really need are perfectly adjusted brakes on your fiver.

My F150 has the backup assist and I don't care for it at all. I've backed up trailers for most of my life and if you know what your doing it adds nothing. For those who do not know how to back up I can see an advantage. It seemed very jerky to me. Plus setting it up was a PIA on my utility trailer.

Latest resources

Back