DSDP 4326
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISL 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Winnebago ERA 70A or 2012 Ford Taurus
What is the daily routine for FPU? Does your day start at zero dark thirty like it does for service work?

• Prior to arrival - terror
  • On arrival - beyond excitement
  • You will likely get a time to show on the first day as they do the final cleanup for presentation, I showed at the lobby at open, told to go to FPU area at around 8. That's prior to the new facility.
  • Upon first sight - true love
  • First day was interior review of everything, every fan, every system, etc.
  • First night you sleep in it, if you choose, and continue the overwhelming review
  • Day two started at start of work day (6'ish), all exterior systems reviewed
  • Day three started at start of work day and completed review, answered questions, began repairs
  • Day three may have been first test drive
  • Day four more repairs, some of my requested mods that they'll do post FPU for labor charge
  • Day five final triage
I think now though they tightened the schedule. Used to be you had the tech for a week, not they've compressed it but I wouldn't worry. If something needs to get done it will get done and don't leave with anything NOT done.

Thanks Neal.

From what I understand, you have the tech for two days now, but it remains a five-day evolution.

Spousal unit is not a morning person. For her, breakfast at 1000 is pushing it. On the other hand, I normally see the clock announce 0330. It’s going to be interesting.

Thanks Neal.

From what I understand, you have the tech for two days now, but it remains a five-day evolution.

Spousal unit is not a morning person. For her, breakfast at 1000 is pushing it. On the other hand, I normally see the clock announce 0330. It’s going to be interesting.
She will survive on sheer excitement energy - yes even with 5 am wake up. She has my schedule and I did fine. I was surprised that I did not even take afternoon naps. By 9 pm she will be worn out. 9-5 is 8 hours of sleep. The hardest for me was the night before the first day. I could hardly sleep, do to the excitement and fear of oversleeping. Enjoy. It is an experience of a lifetime! Go over everything. Test everything. Be sure to drive it. I had a major failure after the test drive. I am so glad I did the FPU. If I ever get to buy an new one again, FPU will be essential.

Thanks Neal.

Here’s what you do. Snag an Air BnB. There are several good ones in and around Nappanee, relax there. Spousal unit can sleep in and you can get to the service center at 0600 each day. No issues at all and it makes life easier in my experience as there is no setup and tear down each day. Of course, if it’s your first unit that is good practice as there is no better place to get it wrong. Tons of experienced folks at the campground to point you in the right direction.

@Neal’s schedule of events generally aligns with what I experienced. Going into it. Know that things will be wrong and flawed. Make it your mission to find them. Test EVERYTHING. Then test it again. And Again. Then once more. If nothing else, it gives you muscle memory and confirms your understanding of the experience when an item is working properly.

Spend the first night in the coach and bring three pads of post it notes, each a different color. I chose red, yellow and blue. When you find something broken or wrong, write what’s wrong on the red sticky and stick it in the item in question. Got a question about something? Use blue. Need more info about something. Use green.
When the tech returns in the morning, there should be post it notes all over the place. Tell the tech he is not allowed to remove them. His job is to make you remove them by fixing something to your satisfaction, answering your question to your satisfaction, or getting you the right info.

When your coach is free of post it notes, it’s time to head home.

Latest resources

Back