RV Model
STT343VIK
RV Length
37'8"
TOW/TOAD
2021 Tundra for now
Fulltimer
Yes
Thanks to the members here for the assist in choosing the right tow vehicle. Wish I found this site before buying the first tow vehicle(only had it 87 days). In two weeks my wife and I will be making the leap from home owners to full timers. We decided to not give it a weekend test drive to ensure we did not rethink or regret(already bought the RV) the decision. The first month will be spent on a road trip from New Bern, NC to New Orleans and then finish up just north of Fort Myers. With everything up to this point planned and hopefully prepared for, we need to now focus on the fairly permanent location. I have tried a few different methods to research this topic. I am using google, campendium, trip advisor, ParkAdvisor, and Facebook for the majority of the research. I am disappointed to see the majority of the reviews and columns out there only focus on the negative and give no real input on every day life. The other issue with most apps and searches, is the inability to filter age restrictions. My wife and I are in our 30's and have no kids. I have found a few adult only resorts, but mostly 55+. Since researching is tougher than expected we are planning to book 2-4 week stays at a few resorts in the area before deciding. Has anyone here had generally positive stays in any resorts near Punta Gorda. We are eventually looking to lease a site for 6-12 months. Thank you in advance for your input.

Last edited:
Welcome. You can also check campgroundreviews.com

As with anything people are quicker to complain than to compliment. Unfortunately, I find there are more campgrounds that are terrible to poor than there are excellent (at least according to my standards). As for resorts, I cannot comment because I don't frequent those. I like to camp a lot, so affordable clean and basic is all I need.

Good luck in your search. I am sure there are many hear who can provide excellent input.

Last edited:
I use several sites to get general information on different campgrounds and resorts. My main one is RVParky. It just seems more up to date and complete than most others.

Not sure what your annual camping fee target budget will be, ours has always been to spend as little as possible renting sites. What we have found is most campgrounds will give you a much better deal if you book a month compared to a week. Of course when staying down here in Florida during the winter season many places want you to book a minimum of 3 months at higher rates. To get complete information from most CGs you almost have to call them and have a conversation.

Examples: we are currently leasing a site outside of Frostproof Florida (70 miles southeast of Tampa). It is $287 per month and we pay electric. Now this is an annual lease so we are paying that $287 a month even when we are out most of the year traveling the country. But it means that our 5 month winter stay in Florida costs us $3,444. We used to pay over $6,000 for a 5 month stay down by Ft Myers. The one here in Frostproof is twice as nice for about half the money.

Another spot we generally will use for a month stay is up in Robertsdale AL. They have 100' pull thru sites and we can get one for $300 a month there.

It takes some research on our part to find the better deals in the areas we are traveling to, but we enjoy that part of being full time also.

Thanks to the members here for the assist in choosing the right tow vehicle. Wish I found this site before buying the first tow vehicle(only had it 87 days). In two weeks my wife and I will be making the leap from home owners to full timers. We decided to not give it a weekend test drive to ensure we did not rethink or regret(already bought the RV) the decision. The first month will be spent on a road trip from New Bern, NC to New Orleans and then finish up just north of Fort Myers. With everything up to this point planned and hopefully prepared for, we need to now focus on the fairly permanent location. I have tried a few different methods to research this topic. I am using google, campendium, trip advisor, ParkAdvisor, and Facebook for the majority of the research. I am disappointed to see the majority of the reviews and columns out there only focus on the negative and give no real input on every day life. The other issue with most apps and searches, is the inability to filter age restrictions. My wife and I are in our 30's and have no kids. I have found a few adult only resorts, but mostly 55+. Since researching is tougher than expected we are planning to book 2-4 week stays at a few resorts in the area before deciding. Has anyone here had generally positive stays in any resorts near Punta Gorda. We are eventually looking to lease a site for 6-12 months. Thank you in advance for your input.
You mentioned that you were going to focus on finding a fairly permanent location at some point and perhaps in south FLA. I recently secured an annual lease site at a brand new RV Resort in north central FLA. While we are residents of FLA the wife and I decided to stay in-state this year as opposed to doing out of state travel and we wanted a getaway place without the worry of having to find a spot , reservations, etc. The resort we found is called Keystone Heights RV Resort in Keystone Heights, FLA. It caters to the adult community but is not strict 55+. It's gated and has all of the popular amenities. They just had a soft opening last November and portions are still under development however all sites are set up and ready to go. They offer different long term stay plans which I feel are fairly priced. Nice level and large concrete pads for a 5'ver or motorhome. Just throwing this info. out there in the event that you might want to check it out. They are on Facebook or you can search them out on the internet. Good luck finding your perfect resting place!

Latest resources

Back