Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mikern

RVF Regular
now that we have bought the newmar thinking of getting a chev equinox to flat tow
is blue ox the way to go?

thanks mike

I have had 5 tow vehicles. I have used Roadmaster base plates and tow bars along with AirForce1 supplemental brakes on each one and been very happy. The people at Roadmaster have always been very helpful.

You will need a tow bar and tow bar brackets that hook up to the car, Blue Ox makes both. I have used Blue Ox for years. It was my choice. Never failed me yet.

HH

@mikern ... Blue Ox equipment is what I have always used and have been very happy with it. However, there are several good systems out there and I think you will find that people will have their favorites and will stick with them. You will just need to do some research and figure out what you like.

FLSteve :unsure:

When we got our first toad I did a bunch of research on what all was needed. Had a list of Roadmaster items to install.

Took the car to the installer and when he was done discussing we ended up with a complete Blue Ox setup and a Stay and Play braking system.

Have been running it for over six years now and quite happy with it.

As mentioned above you will probably find those that love each of the systems.

There are differences in the base plates between manufacturers that I have researched - some require drilling new holes and some don’t etc, on the same vehicle.

We have a Falcon towbar and flat tow a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek (they stopped making towable Subarus in 2024, I think.
It tows like a dream, no limits of any kind - we’ve been towing it since 2013, lol. We frequently get questions from RV’ers about how we can be Towing a Subaru.
It just rolled over 100k on one of our side trips (it doesn’t add miles when towing) - we’re taking very good care of it and have no plans to replace -t’s nice to have the AWD

now that we have bought the newmar thinking of getting a chev equinox to flat tow
is blue ox the way to go?

thanks mike
We have been using the Blue Ox and brake buddy to to our F150 SuperCrew and have had no issues.

I used a BlueOx tow bar for several years, but when it became necessary to inspect and update, their support was not very good. So much so that I moved to Roadmaster where I have been very happy.

When first got our DS, we had a Ford Flex. You can't easily flat tow a Flex. While hooking up the safety chains on the dolly, my wife said, "Some day you won't like crawling under there hook it up" I looked up at her and told her some day was here. Traded the Flex for a Ram pickup. Went to a small RV repair shop and they recommended the Roadmaster. Two years after the installation, we were at Quartzsite in January. Roadmaster was there. I removed the tow bar and took it to their tent they had set up. Even though I was out of warranty, they disassembled the tow bar, cleaned and inspected, installed new bushings and gave it back to me at no charge. After 6 years, it is still towing our 5500 pound truck very well. Highly recommend.

When first got our DS, we had a Ford Flex. You can't easily flat tow a Flex. While hooking up the safety chains on the dolly, my wife said, "Some day you won't like crawling under there hook it up" I looked up at her and told her some day was here. Traded the Flex for a Ram pickup. Went to a small RV repair shop and they recommended the Roadmaster. Two years after the installation, we were at Quartzsite in January. Roadmaster was there. I removed the tow bar and took it to their tent they had set up. Even though I was out of warranty, they disassembled the tow bar, cleaned and inspected, installed new bushings and gave it back to me at no charge. After 6 years, it is still towing our 5500 pound truck very well. Highly recommend.
I agree….and although BlueOx does not make a bad product, service is what separates BlueOx and Roadmaster. They will stand behind their product even after warranty…

Latest resources

Back