Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
Using a cheap thermal sensing device is useful for spot issues but a FLIR attachment for a Smart Phone seems ideal for problem solving all sorts of issues from electrical shorts, wheel bearings failing, tread heat patterns (for alignment) to water intrusion.

Any thoughts on this tool?

Amazon product ASIN B072J49BX7

Nifty indeed and the price for FLIR is slowly edging down some. In reading some of the reviews, I saw where the device is not always recognized by the phone when plugged in...which would make me wonder: Is it ready for prime time?

Edit: Be sure and read some of the 1 Star reviews, noting things like minimum iOS to function, battery issues and disconnection of plugs from the device. Lastly, whenever the mfg updates the (required) APP, it may brick the camera. 😬

Seems a bit pricy. I rather prefer the all-in-one handhelds rather than something dangling off my phone. They do work though. There are some iffy Chinese knockoffs out there that are are actually worth a look too. If you are shopping, where I'd pay a bit more is for one that superimposes the IR picture on top of a regular camera picture. REALLY helps decipher what the amorphous IR blobs actually are. Although bigger screens and higher resolution are neat and all they are really overkill for anything I actually use one for. Automotive repair, electrical checks, and heat/insulation leaks.

I have seen them for about $280. Working with the iPhone.
Was tempted to get one, but never did.
Was hoping Neal will buy one, so I can borrow it one day. Much cheaper 😂

Was hoping Neal will buy one, so I can borrow it one day. Much cheaper 😂
I'm on a budget, no more than two boxes a day now. Trimming up ya know...

Well, I'm a believer in FLIR and have used one around here for the last 12-13 years. The model I have looks to have increased in cost by about $500 since I bought mine, but it's a nice model and displays in White/Red and degrees of each.

Pricy, but still working after all these years! Link.

1689721602819.png

Last edited:
After some additional research on the FLIR One Pro for iPhone, it is a no go. The battery cannot be replaced, I.E disposable device. Yikes $400+ disposable device! Granted my usage would not be extensive, but chances of letting the battery discharge to a low state is likely, not healthy for a rechargeable battery.

Still think this is a useful tech and may consider other models like the one above.

Professional Thermal Camera for iOS™ and Android® Smartphones

FLIR ONE® Gen 3

$229
1689807626933.png

Latest resources

Back