Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
UNBELIEVABLE!!
AMAZING TECHNOLOGY!
I must be living under a rock, as I had no idea this technology existed!

Happen to see that very drone today at EAA AirVenture (Oshkosh)

I wish I had a programable drone.

Darrell
What are you wanting to do, @Rollin Ollen ? A lot of the recreational drones today have the ability to fly "missions". For example, one of mine will lift off of the deck at home, lift up to 350' and then fly down to the RV park where it will quietly fly a pattern that I have previously set up. This way I can look for obstructions in the road, check for arriving/departing guests, make sure the camp host has opened/closed the main gate, or other things that I can't easily see from the ground cameras.

Before I started going south for the winters, I used a similar mission to check my driveway for obstacles during the winter and especially when there was a couple feet of snow on the road.

What are you wanting to do, @Rollin Ollen ? A lot of the recreational drones today have the ability to fly "missions". For example, one of mine will lift off of the deck at home, lift up to 350' and then fly down to the RV park where it will quietly fly a pattern that I have previously set up. This way I can look for obstructions in the road, check for arriving/departing guests, make sure the camp host has opened/closed the main gate, or other things that I can't easily see from the ground cameras.

Before I started going south for the winters, I used a similar mission to check my driveway for obstacles during the winter and especially when there was a couple feet of snow on the road.
Really just want to shoot pics of RV Parks and some trekking/ biking videos. We have a friend that has one that seems to be similar to yours does. I've added some pics of our site on the beach when we stayed at South Padre Island. He took these and lots more others that I thought were spectacular. Often an arial view would be nice. We did a bicycle trek up The San Gabriel Canyon Road in California. The scenery is spectacular but ground level pics just don't do it justice and again Jeeping in Arizona. We climbed The Harquahala Trail to the Summit. It would have been another place for some drone footage and to get the shot shown, I had to scramble up a steep slope to get what I got.

So what kind of Drone do you have and is it fairly user friendly?

Thanks

Darrell

Attachments

• 02_29 South Padre.JPG
    02_29 South Padre.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 02_30 South Padre.JPG
    02_30 South Padre.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 20
  • Harquahala Trip to Summit.JPG
    Harquahala Trip to Summit.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 15
  • San Gabriel Canyon Road AKA Rt 39.jpg
    San Gabriel Canyon Road AKA Rt 39.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 8
Really just want to shoot pics of RV Parks and some trekking/ biking videos. We have a friend that has one that seems to be similar to yours does. I've added some pics of our site on the beach when we stayed at South Padre Island. He took these and lots more others that I thought were spectacular. Often an arial view would be nice. We did a bicycle trek up The San Gabriel Canyon Road in California. The scenery is spectacular but ground level pics just don't do it justice and again Jeeping in Arizona. We climbed The Harquahala Trail to the Summit. It would have been another place for some drone footage and to get the shot shown, I had to scramble up a steep slope to get what I got.

So what kind of Drone do you have and is it fairly user friendly?

Thanks

Darrell
Darrell - based on how you plan to use your drone, you may want to consider the DJI Mini 3. I have been using the Mini 2 for several years now and it has served my needs very well. If I were to buy a new one today, it would be the Mini 3.

I have a couple. One is a DJI "FPV", which stands for First Person View. You wear a visor over your eyes, and what you see in the visor is basically the same view you would have if you were sitting in the front seat of the drone. It's very cool, and sometimes quite wild.

It's best flown if your sitting down or leaning against something, like the side of your truck, RV or even a tree. When in flight, and doing a banking maneuver, it's easy for your mind to get skewed and you can actually lose your balance. Once you get the feel for the controls, it's actually easy to fly. And some of the packages you can buy have a controller you hold in one hand. Leaning the controller forward makes the drone go forward, back makes it go backward, etc., etc. You control speed with a trigger in the controller. I believe you would feel comfortable flying it after about 10 minutes of practice.

@Neal has some video somewhere of when he was out here at Deer Springs, and our drones were chasing each other around the field. It was pretty fun. I'll see if I can find it and if so, I'll post it.

In the meantime, this is a fairly tame video of the DJI FPV doing 70 mph banks above the ball field out here in NC. I believe top speed on this drone is about 87 mph.

Darrell - based on how you plan to use your drone, you may want to consider the DJI Mini 3. I have been using the Mini 2 for several years now and it has served my needs very well. If I were to buy a new one today, it would be the Mini 3.
It looks like this will do the trick and it appears it seems quite crash resistant. That is /was my big worry. At about $450. US reasonably affordable. Thanks for the info!

Darrell

I have a couple. One is a DJI "FPV", which stands for First Person View. You wear a visor over your eyes, and what you see in the visor is basically the same view you would have if you were sitting in the front seat of the drone. It's very cool, and sometimes quite wild.

It's best flown if your sitting down or leaning against something, like the side of your truck, RV or even a tree. When in flight, and doing a banking maneuver, it's easy for your mind to get skewed and you can actually lose your balance. Once you get the feel for the controls, it's actually easy to fly. And some of the packages you can buy have a controller you hold in one hand. Leaning the controller forward makes the drone go forward, back makes it go backward, etc., etc. You control speed with a trigger in the controller. I believe you would feel comfortable flying it after about 10 minutes of practice.

@Neal has some video somewhere of when he was out here at Deer Springs, and our drones were chasing each other around the field. It was pretty fun. I'll see if I can find it and if so, I'll post it.

In the meantime, this is a fairly tame video of the DJI FPV doing 70 mph banks above the ball field out here in NC. I believe top speed on this drone is about 87 mph.

Wow! Now if I were to go with this one, I might just find myself sitting in an arm chair with a glass of what ever letting the drone do all the work instead of getting on that bike or in the Jeep to go exploring. :)

Darrell

Latest resources

Back