RV Make
Coachmen
RV Model
Catalina Class A Motorhome
RV Length
34'
TOW/TOAD
Honda Pilot
We were left stranded due to a fuel pump failure. We had to have it towed 99 miles home. AAA covers 100 miles, so we were lucky it happened where it did.

I learned that the holding tanks are mounted above the fuel tank, so access from the top was not an option. I bought a low pressure electric fuel pump to empty the tank into numerous gas cans and removed the tank. I had the tank cleaned and relined before replacing the pump. I also added an external pump fed off of a port at the bottom of the tank, then ran it to a T fitting I added in the main fuel line. I added two switches in the dash to select either the in tank or external pump. I cycle them occasionally to avoid having fuel go stale in the external pump.

From what I have read on numerous forums, the F53 chassis is prone to the fuel pump failure. I highly recommend adding a backup external pump to avoid being stranded as we were.

Curious, do you run the fuel tank below a 1/4 before refilling it? I have heard several reports from various sources that if you run the tank low the pump tends to overheat?

From link below "To cool and lubricate the internal components, fuel must flow continuously through the fuel pump. Insufficient flow limits cooling and lubrication of the pump. A leading cause of fuel pump failure is running the fuel tank low. This is particularly critical on late model vehicles without a fuel pressure return system. Running such a vehicle out of fuel once can permanently damage the fuel pump. "

I never run it much below half, for that very reason. I learned that the hard way on one of the earlier fuel injected cars I owned. Also, the generator pickup is 1/4 tank off the bottom. We are usually running the generator for the roof top air conditioners. I usually start looking for a suitable gas station when it gets down to 1/2.

In our case, the failure was caused from being stored too long with ethanol fuel. I found the fuel pump intake screen completely plugged with sludge. That is why I had the tank cleaned and relined before I reinstalled it. I pay extra for non ethanol fuel and add Seafoam when I winterize it. Even then I try to drive it around once a month to keep things moving.

Ethanol is a problem. We run highest grade fuel available in an attempt to avoid issues. An aside, the Ford User manual indicates that best performance requires highest grade available and it is "required" when towing. Typically we are at Max GCWR of 30K so we feel it is necessary to use the more expensive fuel.

I, too, hate the ethanol. it is particularly hard on small engines. I’ve got a couple of acres, and have to run Sta-Bil in the gas all the time in the zero-turn mower to keep it running well.

For my coach, i always add "Sea Foam" at each fill up. Depending on amount of fuel, 1-3 cans. A bit expensive, but hopefully will eliminate the "fuel separation" potential.
In my lawn mower, chain saws, blower, weed eater, & side by side, I use "non-ethanol" gas. It's much more expensive, but certainly worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back