Tiffin
RV Model
32SA
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2007 Solara convertible
Fulltimer
No
New to this site and planning to buy a used RV class A next year. Know very little about motorhomes. So I have a few questions that some of you more experienced folks may have some insight on. 1. Looking at the Ford V10 first there is 362 hp V10 coupled with a 5 speed automatic overdrive transmission with tow haul. Then there is 320 hp V10 coupled with 6 speed automatic overdrive transmission with tow haul. Then there is the new Ford V8 Godzilla 350 hp coupled with a 6 speed automatic overdrive transmission with tow haul. Which is more economical? Which is more reliable? Which is more quite when on the interstate?

New to this site and planning to buy a used RV class A next year. Know very little about motorhomes. So I have a few questions that some of you more experienced folks may have some insight on. 1. Looking at the Ford V10 first there is 362 hp V10 coupled with a 5 speed automatic overdrive transmission with tow haul. Then there is 320 hp V10 coupled with 6 speed automatic overdrive transmission with tow haul. Then there is the new Ford V8 Godzilla 350 hp coupled with a 6 speed automatic overdrive transmission with tow haul. Which is more economical? Which is more reliable? Which is more quite when on the interstate?
The 362 hp and the 320 hp are the same engine. Government regulations required re-rating at a different RPM. I don't know much about the new V8. The 6 speed is nicer than the 5 speed on hilly terrain. The 5 speed has a habit of downshifting harshly from 5th to 3rd uphills and is very noisy doing so. The 6 speed typically goes to 5 then 4. If really steep it will continue down to 3. It is not as harsh. I have the 320 with the 6 speed and do not seem to have the issues that the folks with the 5 speed describe on the harsh downshifts.

The 362 hp and the 320 hp are the same engine. Government regulations required re-rating at a different RPM. I don't know much about the new V8. The 6 speed is nicer than the 5 speed on hilly terrain. The 5 speed has a habit of downshifting harshly from 5th to 3rd uphills and is very noisy doing so. The 6 speed typically goes to 5 then 4. If really steep it will continue down to 3. It is not as harsh. I have the 320 with the 6 speed and do not seem to have the issues that the folks with the 5 speed describe on the harsh downshifts.
Thank you for your response that's the kind of information I was looking for. How about the noise factor in your Canyon Star on the highway has that ever been an issue? I have been leaning towards the 320 hp with the 6 speed because of the lower rpm with the 6th speed. What is your rpm at say 65 mph and 70 mph? Really do like the 3710 Canyon Star planning on buying at the end of this year. Hopefully we will all be safe from covid by then.

I have the Titan V10 and some of the older ones did have issues with spark plugs newer ones do not. I have the 5 speed Osuallen is correct. It will shift to 3rd if you are not careful. I tend to take it out of cruise when in the mountains and use the gas pedal to prevent that. I also bought an aftermarket engine reprogramer and added a considerable amount of HP and Torque. It also helped in the shifting a good bit. The V10 is a smoother running engine it seems with the extra 2 cylinder. Anyway, I'm happy with mine, but I am sure the 6 speed would be better.

Thank you for your response that's the kind of information I was looking for. How about the noise factor in your Canyon Star on the highway has that ever been an issue? I have been leaning towards the 320 hp with the 6 speed because of the lower rpm with the 6th speed. What is your rpm at say 65 mph and 70 mph? Really do like the 3710 Canyon Star planning on buying at the end of this year. Hopefully we will all be safe from covid by then.
Normal highway driving on flat to moderate hills is just fine. Noise level is not objectional, can carry on a normal conversation. On steeper hills when it does need to drop all the way to 3rd, it gets somewhat noisy. Don't really remember the RPM. Want to say in the 2,000 to 2,400 range for those speeds.

If you can get the six speed, I would. I have had the 5 and the 6. The 6 is much smoother and a bit quieter, although much louder than the Ford V8 in my truck.

Regarding the Spark Plug thread issue of the V10. There are some very innovative and successful fixes that DO NOT Require removal of the cylinder head. If fact the process if done carefully can be completed by a competitient tech in as little as 15-20 minutes per plug.

Latest resources

Back