Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kposey

RVF Regular
We are upgrading to a Toy Hauler to live in full time and wondering pros and cons of each if anyone can enlighten us. Thanks for your input.

Don't know anything about the Jayco, but our XLR seems okay except for the fridge. It was in the shop 5 times before they could get it working right, but this was a Dometic issue, not Forest River.

Seems from what I read, and the trailers we've owned, they all use about the same brands for the appliances, water systems, electrical systems, and such. The difference is in the physical construction with the lighter ones using thinner and lighter materials. These don't seem to be as durable in the long run of age and daily usage. Most RV's seem to be intended for weekends, vacations trips, and such. I view that few are suitable for 100% year-a-round living. Some seem to hold up OK on mostly paved roads and campgrounds, while they might just fall apart on a long trip to Alaska as one that a friend of ours did. Cabinets fell off of the walls, water tank broke loose and fell on the road, axles bent, and such. And this was supposedly one of the better-built 5th wheel models. Most all have steel frames with a box built on top. Some have wood studs in the walls, some have metal studs in the walls. Some are covered in metal while some are covered in fiberglass sheets. I suppose weight vs. price becomes a major factor. But still, a new one is expected to have issues initially. Just expect it and plan for it.

Latest resources

Back