Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Fresh Water tank has black particles?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Joe Sh

RVF Regular
2000 Roadtrek Popular 190 has black particles in Fresh Water tank. I’ve tried to flush it out with a hose and draining simultaneously. Could it be mold? Not rust I hope! Would a cleaning agent be advised? If so, a chlorine mixture w/water?

2000 Roadtrek Popular 190 has black particles in Fresh Water tank. I’ve tried to flush it out with a hose and draining simultaneously. Could it be mold? Not rust I hope! Would a cleaning agent be advised? If so, a chlorine mixture w/water?
I would definitly do the chlorine job but your black particles may be the result of a neoprene hose washer that disintegrated. Can you retrieve a bit. Maybe use a cloth as a sieve to catch a sample from the fresh water drain outlet. Once you know what the substance is it will be easier to determine a fix.

Good luck

Darrell

I would definitly do the chlorine job but your black particles may be the result of a neoprene hose washer that disintegrated. Can you retrieve a bit. Maybe use a cloth as a sieve to catch a sample from the fresh water drain outlet. Once you know what the substance is it will be easier to determine a fix.

Good luck

Darrell
Thanks Darrell, the black matter is very obvious and soft. I said particles but matter may have been a better description!
I will try a chlorine solution added to a full tank of water. It a 2000 model yr and mold may have developed?

Maybe mold or maybe some form of algae???

Rick

I don't drink the water in the fresh water tank! If it is mold, take theparticles and put them in bleach solution and they will disappear. Treatment of the tank will give the same result.

Likely though they are the result of filling the tank without a filter. (Just dirt in the grid water supply).

Rv fresh water tanks don't typically have an access hole, but you can put one in.

Big hole saw, plastic cutting board, and food grade silicone sealer. Held in place with stainless screws. (To much work for me!).

Latest resources

Back