Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Schrec

RVF Regular
I’m shopping used rvs. Looking at some of the floor plans I have noticed in a few models the fridge is directly behind the driver or passenger seat. Am I being to fussy if I find this to be a bit unsettling? I’m thinking that in the event of an accident I don’t want a fridge smooshing me or the wife. Valid concern or am I just overthinking?

Interesting question. It seems to me that if the coach stopped quickly enough to dislodge the refrigerator, it would probably mean you had impacted an immovable object. If that's the case, I'm thinking that being "smooshed" by the reefer would be among the least of your concerns.

TJ

Last edited:
Interesting question. It seems to be that if the coach stopped quickly enough to dislodge the refrigerator, it would probably mean you had impacted an immovable object. If that's the case, I'm thinking that being "smooshed" by the reefer would be among the least of your concerns.

TJ
Oh yeah it’s definitely going to be an accident situation. Just wondering if I’m over thinking things here.

I don't think we can ever "over-think" safety concerns. That said, there are some risks that we have to accept unless we want to avoid doing anything. I don't recall what type and brand RV you have, but I would think the refrigerator location would have been a part of an engineering evaluation when the coach was designed.

TJ

I’m still a lookee-loo, tire kicker for right now. I’m to the point where I want to buy, but I don’t own one yet. Looked at god knows how many online, and viewing local available coaches. I guess I just have to decide if that fridge location is an acceptable risk.

The big question you need to answer first is, "Does this floor plan work for me/us?" When shopping for a first coach, don't get in a hurry. Look at LOTS of coaches; different types, brands and models to get a clear idea of what you want. Don't worry about prices (within reason, of course) at this point. Look at every option you possibly can. Then, identify what floor plan would best meet your needs.

Once you arrive at your "ideal" floor plan, then you can start overlaying prices and making any necessary compromises to get within your budget. If you short-circuit that process, you may well wind up with a unit that doesn't meet your needs and that you dislike.

TJ

Latest resources

Back