Welcome to RVForums.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Front Radius Rods F53 Ford Chassis.

Welcome to our community

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

41pu

RVF Regular
Joined
Mar 6, 2025
Messages
12
Location
Stockton Ca
RV Year
2004
RV Make
Holiday Rambler
RV Model
PBD
RV Length
34
Chassis
Ford F53
Engine
V10
TOW/TOAD
2012 Scion XB
Has anyone installed front radius rods on a F 53 Ford chassis with good results?
I have a 2004 34 Foot Holiday Rambler that I’m dealing with the constant steering wheel correction.
Items I have installed to date. Front and rear Trac Bars,Steering Stabilizer, Koni Front shocks and Front sway bar. All this with little noticeable help. The sway bar made the most noticeable difference. I’m think about installing the front radius rods as a last resort.
 
Have you check the toe-in? About 1/8" positive, is what I suggest.
 
Have you check the toe-in? About 1/8" positive, is what I suggest.
Yes the alignment has been done. Not sure what the toe was set at.
I’ll look for my paper work and see. I know the caster/camber was set. I can see the new shims.
Thanks for responding.
 
We had a Georgetown on an F53 chassis and it was a constant fight to maintain center of the lane. We tried pretty much what you have tried and never had any noticeable improvement. We bought used, tried our best to love it - but in the end, we went back to a good, solid Ford Super Duty and fifth wheel.
 
We had a Georgetown on an F53 chassis and it was a constant fight to maintain center of the lane. We tried pretty much what you have tried and never had any noticeable improvement. We bought used, tried our best to love it - but in the end, we went back to a good, solid Ford Super Duty and fifth wheel.
Thanks for responding.
I haven’t given up yet. But close to it.
 
I think I have read a heavy rear sway bar can help with steering also.
 
Has anyone installed front radius rods on a F 53 Ford chassis with good results?
I have a 2004 34 Foot Holiday Rambler that I’m dealing with the constant steering wheel correction.
Items I have installed to date. Front and rear Trac Bars,Steering Stabilizer, Koni Front shocks and Front sway bar. All this with little noticeable help. The sway bar made the most noticeable difference. I’m think about installing the front radius rods as a last resort.
Yes, I entailed front radius rods on my 2015 Winnebago and they made a big improvement in my steering.
 
That’s good to hear.
Thanks for responding.
 
I also have the front radius rods.. My modifications are pretty much the same as yours plus Sumos Springs.

The rods seemed to help the steering wander. I also had my steering box adjusted. The tech said it was a very slight adjustment but made a considerate difference and helps control the wander as well. Prior to the steering box adjust I had about 3" of play in the wheel.

I tow about 95% of the time and found that the wander was definitely minimal when I towed a 5k boat with tongue weight. Much different than when I tow the toad with no tongue weight. Apparently weight in the ass end makes a difference.

2008 Fleetwood Terra, F53
 

Latest resources

Back
Top Bottom