DSDP 4326
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISL 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Winnebago ERA 70A or 2012 Ford Taurus
Just for grins, I told my Garmin I was going to a CG in the NC mountains. It routed me through portions of I-40 and I-26 that are closed for the foreseeable future.

Am I expecting too much? It seems to me a live traffic feature would know those roads are closed.

I googled around a little but maybe a call to Garmin support would give an answer? From what I gather, once you start on your route the live traffic determines delays and if greater than a 15 minute delay would be encountered it will offer a re-route. So it seems live traffic is not in play in the initial route picked but comes into play when it starts evaluating delays. This answer is worth about $.00000001, just trying to see what I can find on the interwebs.

Verified. Planning with Garmin is much different mapping than being underway.
I’ve had bad routing in planning miraculously switching to a valid route once underway.
Live traffic gives real time road delays and route change support.
Going to NKK the road delays changed routing in Dallas to drive to Ft Worth then north.
Avoiding a section of closed perimeter road.

With the road situation changing I would imagine Garmin will push map updates once they get the official info. I'd be checking for updates prior to travel more frequently in affected areas. I think the app may give you a notification if an update is available but I personally would be checking.

Live traffic and road closures are 2 different things at least the way I look at it. I know google maps will show you road closures as least on the main roads.

Attachments

• IMG_3673.png
    IMG_3673.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 13
I guess you need an infustructure to report to Garmin!

Sadly Neemer, you are expecting to much. My guess is Garmin's worst feature is Live Traffic.

It would be nice if it was the best, but you have to take a multi-faceted approach to routing.

In my experience, Apple Maps and Google maps provide good enough live traffic info and Garmin provides better route info because it is more or less rig specific. So I use both.

What Rich said ^^^

Wife uses Waze, apple, google maps looking for issues coming up. I do know every slowdown we hit today the Garmin told me miles in advance it was coming up.

Latest resources

Back