Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ford Flex
Fulltimer
No
We used these on the last RV that would vent small amounts of fuel when tank filled. Basically burp a small amount.
Worked well managing gas. Kept it off paint.

thoughts on diesel rig

IMG_0735.png

From my experience it isn’t burped - more like projectile vomiting. The big nozzles are designed to fill vertically from the top of a tank through a three inch opening, so they flow a lot and I guess they normally shut off as they should in a truck tank.

But with DP the nozzle is almost horizontal and when that large volume of fuel rapidly climbs the smaller fill pipe it can’t shut off the flow fast enough, so a good amount comes gushing out over the side and onto the ground.

A “Diesel Guard” would have to be about twice as wide and 2’ long, and you’d still leave a puddle on the ground, but its a good idea. I just shut the thing off when I hear the fuel start to come up the fill pipe. Also diesel doesn't hurt the paint, it just makes a mess and dirt sticks to it.

Last edited:
Thank you for the heads up. I’ll listen for sounds of a full tank and shut off manually.

I agree with @Rich W. that you should try to determine how many gallon you think you are going to need and listen to it filling up near the top because if it spills it’s everywhere. The coach, ground and maybe even you. Not fun.

I bought a pair of those guards a couple of years ago. Waste of money IMHO. They end up just getting in the way and the mess is now on the guards and the coach. Slowing the flow and listening towards the end is the best practice.

I take a couple of paper towels and wrap them around the nozzle near the handle, then insert the nozzle and begin fueling. This creates a gasket of sorts that helps tremendously with this issue.

Even harder on the Superstar the way the fill is setup.

Wife keeps the paper towels handy while I fill.

Can’t actually fill the tanks since the entry is on the side at maybe a 45 degree angle.

To get the most fuel in I have to look around the nozzle when it is getting close. Then stop when it starts up the filler neck.

We can get probably 90 gallons total out of 100 between the tanks.

At least if they burp it is only in the tank and not the paint. The DEF burping is another issue.

Latest resources

Back