• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Gas in Diesel :-(

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
OK, before I get crucified, methanol and ethanol are both cellulose based not hydrocarbon based. Xylene and toluene are hydro carbons. Those two, benzenes, gasoline, asphaltenes, butanes all crack out at different temps in the cracking tower. They all come out of the same barrel of oil. They will all mix back together in solution

OK, before I get crucified, methanol and ethanol are both cellulose based not hydrocarbon based. Xylene and toluene are hydro carbons. Those two, benzenes, gasoline, asphaltenes, butanes all crack out at different temps in the cracking tower. They all come out of the same barrel of oil. They will all mix back together in solution
Guess my thinking was wrong.

In my flying days, I always followed the rule: "If in doubt, DON'T DO IT."
But that was me?

We be BEATIN' this dead horse! :D

I have seen it done, twice. One time I remember was 5 gal of gas in a 50 gallon diesel tank. The tank was filled with diesel after the mistake was realized and driving was continued. This was on an old 1970's diesel that was strictly mechanical in function. No sensors at all. No ill effects were noticed driving that vehicle. I do not know, but new diesels must have sensors for air flow, fuel flow, injection timing, etc. Would like to see what actual diesel mechanics have to say. Not some guy on the internet.
Then I found this....

In North America, gas stations offer two types of diesel fuel – according to ASTM D975[5] these are named No. 1 and No. 2 fuel. No. 1 fuel (similar to kerosene) has a natural CFPP of -40 °C but it is more expensive than No. 2 fuel. Adding No. 1 fuel will lower the CFPP of No. 2 fuel – adding 10% will lower the CFPP temperature by about 5 degrees.[6]

For some diesel motors it is also possible to add even lighter fuels like gasoline to extend the CFPP characteristics. Some car makers were recommending adding up to 20% gasoline to permit operation in cold weather (at the price of higher consumption) and it had been common practice in Europe where No. 1 fuel is not offered at gas stations. Since the 1990s car makers began selling only direct injection diesel engines – these will not withstand any gasoline portions in the fuel as the high pressure in the injection device will not withstand any loss of lubrication from fuel oil without doing damage to the injectors. High pressure fuel pumps depend on diesel fuel for lubrication and the addition of gasoline will cause adverse wear and eventual failure of the pump.

Car makers selling common rail or Unit Injector diesel engines prohibit the dilution of diesel fuel with either gasoline or kerosene as it may destroy the injection device.[4][7]

They will all mix back together in solution
I can say for sure it will not separate. I used to blend 50% used cooking oil 30% diesel, and 20% gasoline. After 4 to 6 week the mix never separated. It was used in my off road construction equipment from the blending vessel.

Latest resources

Back