Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2024 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
Yes
I have a 2019 Dutch Star that we purchased this January. My question is: when I fuel up and move the gauges to the fuel option, it always shows 645 miles to empty, is that what you guys are seeing on your coach too? From what I can tell, we are getting like 6-7 miles per gallon while towing a jeep Rubicon.
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have a '19 4018 Dutch Star. It does the same thing. Miles to empty is always the same. I agree somewhere between 6 and 7 towing a Chevy Colorado or a Dodge 1500 quad cab. I usually reset one of the trip meters as we head out on a trip. It gives a accurate MPG for the trip. It is more useful fuel stop planning.

How interesting - because my Mountain Aire, that has larger engine with a 150 gallon fuel tank vs. the Dutch Star 100 gallon tank always shows.... 645 at fill up. I get about 6.7mpg per engine diagnostics, and having checked it on a FILL-2-FILL vs. miles that is about right .... PS I Have never been able to get more than 125 gallons in even when it is way to low (as in afraid we were going to run dry) Freightliner told me at Sedalia Rally last year that was right... odd...

I think that’s crazy. Our fuel tank capacity is 150 gallons and just figured we would be able to go further on a tank of fuel. Like everyone else, we fill up once we get to a half tank which seems to work well for us. Thanks for the input guys.

We have a SuperC and as a result when filling the tank, like a semi, we are putting the nozzle directly in the tank. As I see on most diesel pushers there is an extension for filling tanks.
As a result of putting the nozzle in the tanks, we can see an embossed/stamped message on the tank cylinder that the tank cannot be filled more than 95%. From experience of our tanks, I don’t think we are able to get to 95% without having a spray of bubbles that would result. So, our “140” gallon tanks (if the cylinders could be totally filled) actually only can be filled to around 120-125ish gallons.
I assume the same is true for your “150” gallon tanks, there is lost space at the top of the tank based on the location of the nozzle hole and space for air at the top.

How interesting - because my Mountain Aire, that has larger engine with a 150 gallon fuel tank vs. the Dutch Star 100 gallon tank always shows.... 645 at fill up. I get about 6.7mpg per engine diagnostics, and having checked it on a FILL-2-FILL vs. miles that is about right .... PS I Have never been able to get more than 125 gallons in even when it is way to low (as in afraid we were going to run dry) Freightliner told me at Sedalia Rally last year that was right... odd...
The 43 foot Dutch Star has 150 gallon fuel tank.

Same issues as noted above with the Freightliner M2 chassis.

Fuel guage on the dash is notoriously inaccurate. Tanks hold 100 total and when gauge is below 1/4 can only get about 45 gallons in.

Our fill is not on the top so they can only hold about 90 total.

Have the BlueFire setup for monitoring and it tracks calculated fuel level, miles to go on fuel, etc. That is much more accurate than the dash.

This reminds me of the plane I use to have. I questioned my mechanic on the accuracy of my analog fuel gauge. He said FAA requirement is it only needs to be accurate when showing empty.
So in most modern instruments they now use a fuel flow meter to calculate fuel used.

Mine doesn't show numbers, just $$$$$$$

When we fill and reset trip meter the miles to empty will continuously update as average fuel economy changes.
At reset average fuel economy starts at zero.
Eventually ends up at 1150 miles or so.
At 150 gallons that is about correct in steady state highway driving.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back