Leprechaun
RV Length
Chassis
Ford
Engine
E SuperDuty
Fulltimer
No
Hello all, I am probably spending more time than I should troubleshooting my generator problem but i like to understand what is happening and why.

My generator (ONAN 4K KY) recently stopped working after running flawlessly.

I have narrowed down the problem for the most part but not exactly.

Here is the testing I have done and the results.

1. Fuel tank is almost half full. disconnected fuel line to the fuel filter/pump and nothing is coming out. Took an air compressor and blew air bank into the tank and removed. This caused gas to flow and was not sustained. Started generator and it ran until fuel from the line ran out.
2. Connected a 3 foot hose directly to the fuel filter/pump and put other end into a gas can. ran generator for at least 3 or 4 minutes before shutting off.

3. did a vacuum test and was about 8hg or 20 hg cm? hard to tell how to read the meter.

4. did a pressure test and it was next to nothing. maybe 3? not sure what it is supposed to be.

so, since it works when in a gas can and there does not seem to be a blockage in the fuel line - I feel that either the fuel pump is not strong enough to pull 15 + feet of fuel line OR maybe there is some vacuum loss somewhere along the line.

Since this is a 1998 Class C, I thought of just replacing the fuel pump/fuel filter but seems that all that i find cannot be sold in California?

Thoughts?

Thanks, John

Are you sure its half full? They dont pull from the bottom so you dont run out of gas in the boonies. Maybe the gauge is not right. Next would be to look for a filter in the line and test the line back to the tanks for air leaks.

Are you sure its half full? They dont pull from the bottom so you dont run out of gas in the boonies. Maybe the gauge is not right. Next would be to look for a filter in the line and test the line back to the tanks for air leaks.
Yes, it should be half full and in the past it worked just above 1/4 tank. any good way to check for leaks in the line? not sure how the hose connects in the gas tank but wondering in part of it t broke off? not sure but creating pressure in the tank allows the gas to flow so strange.

Latest resources

Back