RV Model
3456RL
RV Length
40’
TOW/TOAD
2017 F-250 w/airlift bags
Fulltimer
Yes
Looking to purchase generator for Cardinal 3456 that is generator prepared? Has insulated box and cable bundle with “power control system” panel installed. Other than propane hoses and cut out for exhaust, any additional items I might need? Looking at onan propane 5500w. Since I already have the inverter in trailer, any reason to buy a “inverter“ generator? Not crazy about adding 280# to the trailer, but wanting to start doing lots of boondocking without separate transporting of portable type. Just now trying to educate myself, so any good/bad info appreciated. Sorry if thread is already out there, but couldn’t find one.

Just make sure you have a transfer switch so you cannot backfeed the plug for the power cord.

Looking to purchase generator for Cardinal 3456 that is generator prepared? Has insulated box and cable bundle with “power control system” panel installed. Other than propane hoses and cut out for exhaust, any additional items I might need? Looking at onan propane 5500w. Since I already have the inverter in trailer, any reason to buy a “inverter“ generator? Not crazy about adding 280# to the trailer, but wanting to start doing lots of boondocking without separate transporting of portable type. Just now trying to educate myself, so any good/bad info appreciated. Sorry if thread is already out there, but couldn’t find one.
Most of the non-inverter generators are construction type that are louder than hell. Hopefully someone here can correct me if this is wrong. If you do much boondocking you will see some with the construction generators that will ruin the peace and quiet for many close to them.

The inverter in the trailer converts 12VDC to 120 VAC. That has nothing to do with a generator.

The inverter generator will vary the generator speed based on the load. It always produces 120 VAC at 60Hz. Otherwise, a standard generator runs at a constant speed, 1800 or 3600 RPM, to produce 120 VAC at 60Hz regardless of load. With today's inverter generator technology, I find them superior to standard non-inverter generators. They also produce cleaner AC voltage, usually <3% THD, the same as AC mains power. Usually, the inverter generator is quieter and certainly more fuel-efficient.

Also, note the rating of the generator when propane is the fuel source. Typically generators are rated at XXXX watts when on gasoline. For propane generators, they are typically rated at 80% to 90% of the gasoline rating.

Also, a very important point for safety, the generator should have an automatic change-over switch. Thus when the generator starts, the trailer electrical system switches to the generator and automatically disconnects from shore power or other external power sources.

Thanks for info. I kind of figured out it was a stupid question regarding the inverter after I posted. I know the propane fueled ones are not as efficient, but I really don’t want to mess with gas or diesel for fueling it. But, till haven’t got answer to if gen prep 5th wheel needs any additional components and yes it does have a auto trans switch.

Thanks for info. I kind of figured out it was a stupid question regarding the inverter after I posted. I know the propane fueled ones are not as efficient, but I really don’t want to mess with gas or diesel for fueling it. But, till haven’t got answer to if gen prep 5th wheel needs any additional components and yes it does have a auto trans switch.
Miscellaneous bolts, nuts, screws, wire nuts, hand tools measuring tape, hole cutter, and such. You'll need to determine how you plan to get LP to the generator. Thus flexible tubing, copper line, fittings, valve, and such.

You've got the change-over switch and wiring harness in place. The remainder should be straightforward.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back