Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

fdfrank

RVF Newbee
I have a 1995 Fleetwood southwind I get juice to my plugs when I'm on shore but when I turn my generator on I didn't know juice to my plugs

Is this RV new to you? Does it have a transfer switch?

No I've had it for a while but no it doesn't have a transfer switch. One day it was working and then the next day it just quit we had a real bad rain couple days before it went out I don't know if that has something to do with it or what but yeah just quit working on me

It is not logical that it does not have a transfer switch. I guarantee you that if you left it plugged in and started the generator it would blow the genny. There is a switch somewhere that prevents that. Other then that, look for a breaker in the Genny circuit.

I had a very basic (previous rental) 2001 class C that did not have a transfer switch. To use the generator, the user had to plug the shore power cord in to a 30amp outlet in the shore cord compartment which was wired from the generator. This also prevented the condition of having both energized at the same time as TheLooks described.

During a rather complex solar install that would run my AC off battery/solar power, and involved a victron 3000/24 inverter, six residential solar panels and 2/3 of a Nissan Leaf Li-ion battery, I also installed a transfer switch.

But that’s what “sparked” my questions. If it worked before then something changed and the first place I’d look is the breaker on the generator as TheLooks suggested. Then I’d get out the multi-meter and start investigating.

I agree, check the breaker on the generator. My 2020 left the shop after 2 months of non generator warranty work with the generator mounted breaker popped. Easy fix thankfully.

Latest resources

Back