Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2024 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
Yes
We are traveling from Vicksburg, MS on our way to Hilton Head. When we go onto the RV Life, it wants us to go through Atlanta to get over to HH. It has us going straight to downtown but I see another Hwy, 265 and then over to 85 to try and bypass some of the traffic. RV Life doesn’t show those roads and wanted to know if anyone else has driven through there and used these roads or any other bypass roads.

I-285 is the main bypass around Atlanta, complete circle, we usually take the eastern loop, when going N/S seems to be less merging onto it. JMHO, everyday is different, got stuck going through on the Braves opening day once, nightmare city, 3hrs to get through, allow plenty of time and don't get in a hurry, lots of traffic

I see another Hwy, 265 and then over to 85 to try and bypass some of the traffic.
Are you sure you're not looking at 285 and thinking it says 265?

We never take the bypass.

We go straight through downtown. Normally try to go through Sunday morning and traffic isn’t bad during that time.

We never take the bypass.

We go straight through downtown. Normally try to go through Sunday morning and traffic isn’t bad during that time.
I thought there was a sign "no vehicles over 6 wheels allowed, must take bypass"

Please note that the route through downtown are narrow lanes and other than some rare moments, extremely busy. And you get the Urban crazies driving like there is no tomorrow. We lived in Atlanta and know the roads well. Thankfully no longer, when we must go through the Atlanta area on RT75, we take the Perimeter road or as it is referred to as the "Bypass".

I've tried every route available over the last 25 years and as much as I hate to say it, I've found 85 straight through Atlanta to be the best route to take. But, and this is a BIG but, you have to hit Atlanta at the right time, or you're screwed.

My last trip through Atlanta was at about 9:30am on a Sunday morning. It wasn't bad, but 8:30 would have been much better, and 7:30 probably would have been great.

My opinion is keep off the bypass (285)! It's generally just as busy/crowded as going straight up 85, but 85 will be the shortest route. You have to hit Atlanta at the proper time, and I've found that to be early on a Sunday morning.

Straight through will be the best. Time the trip to not make the journey during peak times, morning and evening rush. Keep in mind traffic is heavy about all the time. I go through the city and not 285 all the time. I have lived in the ATL area almost 40 years and have worked all over the city. We pulled our fifth wheel through often. Watch the signs to know the lanes and GPS. You will be fine. 285 is like a race track.

I just googled Vicksburg to Hilton Head. The preferred route doesn’t go through Atlanta. I can only presume the app you have has a priority of interstates. In many cases the Highways tend to be a little slower speed wise, but end up faster due to distance and you never know what you’ll find along the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0817.png
    IMG_0817.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 11

Latest resources

Back