Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Girard and Dometic Awnings; what’s the difference?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neemer

Crayon Eater
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
DSDP 4326
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISL 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Winnebago ERA 70A or 2012 Ford Taurus
I’m attempting to understand the difference in these awnings in late model MHs.

I’m scouring MHs for sale nearly every day and I note that some (in particular) Newmars have Dometic awnings as standard and Girards as an option.

I have been able to identify the awnings that arc as Girards. I thought the Dometics were more flat, but downward angling. However, based on a conversation I had with another member here today, I learned that not all Girards have that graceful arc, some are more flat.

I still haven’t identified a Dometic. Who has one that can post a pic or give me a good description?

Dometic awning mount to the sidewall of the RV. They extend out with a support structure that is braced on approx 80% of the wall height. The pitch of the awning is such that it will allow for use during most conditions, including rain. When closed, you can easily see where the awning is.

The view on the wall is something I did not like, as it took away from the clean sidewall appearance, and look like yet another bolt on item.

The girard awnings are mounted to the top of the roof. When closed, they look like part of the sidewall, and are often painted to match the scheme.

There are variants of the girard. Some have no downward pitch, others do.

A girard awning is only 100% usable during periods of clear weather with winds less than 2mph. In my limited use ( 2 years) I find that I use my Girard awnings about 75% less than I did the dometic due to weather conditions.

They look very cool when deployed, and offer good sun protection. The ones with a tilt at the ends can be used during a misting/drizzle rain, but nothing that would be considered true rain. The best way to image when to use - if driving in the conditions, and your wipers need to "wipe" more than one time every 5 seconds, the rain is probably too much for the girard awnings.

So to summarize: If you desire the clean look when closed, and the cool appearance when open get girard.

If you want functionality and most useable, get dometic.

@redbaron great summary. I can't recall ever seeing a DSDP with a dometic awning on it as it seems like everyone gets the girards?

Here is a shot of what the dometic (or in this case carefree) awning looks like closed:

and here is one with the girard awning closed
1_3200_2741061_111467785.png;maxwidth=653;maxheight=490;mode=pad.png

@redbaron great summary. I can't recall ever seeing a DSDP with a dometic awning on it as it seems like everyone gets the girards?
Depends on year.

2014 was the last year for Non-Girard awnings on a DSDP.
2019 was the last year for Non-Girard awnings on a VTDP

my replies have been in regards to the "main awning".

There are also window awnings. Up until 2019, the DSDP only had the Girard main awnings, but did have the option for the dometic/carefree window awnings. These are manual lowering, and are positioned slightly lower than the dometic powered awnings.

The other awning is the slide topper awning. Again on 2015-2019 DSDP, the default was "dometic" slide topper, with the girard being an option. The Girard slide topper awning gives a much better pitch than the dometic slide topper.

THe girard slide topper awnings have a metal cover that is secured with a magnet. The dometic / carefree is secured with a paddle on the spool. Both have issues, with dometic breaking due to UV exposure, and girard subject to winds causing the flap to open.

Girard has a brace that can be installed to ensure the flap does not open while driving.

When ordering a new DSDP (at least in 2019), the upgrade for dometic package gave you the Nova awnings for the main (the ones with a tilt) and replaced all awnings (door, slide, and windows) with Girard. That is what I ordered.

An ideal package would be Girard awnings for all but the main patio awning, and a dometic/carefree awning for the main patio. This would functionally be the most ideal, but cosmetically a deal breaker for me, and probably most people.

Instead I sit outside in the full sun enjoying my $20k awnings (put away, but looking smooth and painted) while my neighbors in the Rental RV leave for the day with the awning out and return to it safely extended and doing its job. I guess the next time the leave with it out, I will move my chair over there for the day. If I get caught, I will explain I was just guarding their property :)

Thanks for the instructive essays, Red Baron. You sated my curiosity.

2015 Newmar Ventana LE
Here is a shot of my Dometic awnings.

Attachments

• IMG_4570.jpeg
    IMG_4570.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 73

Latest resources

Back