Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Going from convection cooking to GPS, routing apps....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

LoweCountryCamping

Life is an adventure!
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Tiffin
RV Model
Allegro RED 38ka
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Diesel
TOW/TOAD
GMC Denali 2500
Fulltimer
No
Does anyone have strong affinities for a routing app, made for/by RVers? I just subscribed to RV Life, which allows access to the Trip Wizard but wanted to get your thoughts and real life experiences with RV travel planning. Thank you, in advance!

We use a couple to double check paths. We have rv Garmin in dash board, Apple Maps on phone, truckers path (all stays pro), Cal trans for that state, and 3 weather apps for that route. We also have trip wizard, but have not used it a lot.
Learning to trust Garmin to take us routes safe for RV. Many times the Apple Maps recommends a different route “ for a car”, not a 34 RV with a toad. research prior to hitting the road helps. I’ve also used Rand McNally paper map! ( for those areas with no WiFi)

I haven't traveled as much as many on here, but what I've been doing is using RV Trip Wizard to plan the trip overall. Find RV Parks, pick a fuel station I plan to stop at, and a rest area if the dogs are with us, for each day of a trip. This does a good job of making it easy to find those things and giving suggested RV friendly routing (which I can tweak).

I can then print off a full itinerary, so my wife can make reservations at the parks.

Then, when it comes to driving, I use Garmin, recently switched to the RV1095, and have started creating a trip for each day in the trip planner. Start, destination, and the one or two planned stops along the route. I started doing the entire, multi day trip in the trip planner, but didn't like that I couldn't quickly see how much Garmin said was my full driving time for the day, or ETA to the RV park for that night. Maybe there is a way to see this info that I'm missing, but barring finding that, I just started creating a trip for each day of travel, which only takes a few minutes to setup, since I've already done the hard work in RV Trip Wizard.

Then, while driving, my wife is using Google maps as a sanity check/double check, and when there is conflict between Garmin and Google, we will discuss. Typically, I find Garmin is the better option, due to RV routing, but there have been a couple, specifically leaving RV parks, where Garmin was taking us out a different, and longer, way than we entered the RV park.

We use RV Life GPS for the navigation for the past 3 years. Overall works well, just have a backup. We will have another phone/gps ready to go if the primary has an issue. Happened once.

All great responses and info…thank you!

Latest resources

Back