• Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mikern

RVF Regular
thinking about an extended warranty for my Ventana LE 4037
has anyone had good experience with good sam
we live in canada but travel in the US in the winter
thanks mike

Based on that you have a Ventana LE it's probably several years old and the shake down is complete, i.e. it's settled in and stable. I personally would not recommend an extended warranty and definitely not anything from Good Sam. Make an annual trip to Newmar as needed and new it up as you wish.

Some here do get extended warranties and I hope they'll chime in as to what they get, the fine print (exclusionary, etc.). Some will advise to self warranty i.e. put money aside for issues should they arise. I don't know all of the details involved but I personally opted against that large chunk of money which is a roll of the dice vegas style where the house always wins.

I agree with Neal…. Had motorhomes since 2006 and never had a warranty. Always self insured. Is it s risk? Sure. But you figure if the risk was too high for them, they would not make any money. It’s like Vegas….they would not roll the dice if they knew they were going to lose.

My 2 cents.
And you will probably get a lot of opinions on this one. No one is wrong, just opinions.

The business of selling extended warranty is very profitable for the Seller which indicates that risk is low of payouts. Proper maintenance and you will get many years of service.

It's a double edge sword with Extended Warranties. I looked into them a couple years ago and Good Sam was outrageously expensive compared to others. Warranties are great if you have a catastrophic failure like an engine or transmission. I personally don't have one because I am able to do a lot of the work myself. If you do decide to go with one, and this is coming from being a in the car business for the last 43 years and Honda Dealer for the last 15 years. (retired last year) Make sure it is an exclusionary contract not stated components. Exclusionary lists what is not covered and are much broader in coverage where stated components are very limited. Another thing is look at cap cost. Some policies have max lifetime and individual repair pay outs. In reality you should do what makes you comfortable and gives you peace of mind. You can't make a bad decision either way you providing you buy a quality extended warranty if you decied to go that way.

I did end up going with a Good Sam policy. I went back and forth with the decision since in general, I never buy warranties on anything. I eventually decided to pull the trigger on this since these rigs are so very expensive to repair. I will be keeping up the routine service to keep it dependable but for some reason I seem to sleep better having the coverage. At this point, an extra $100/month doesn't dent our budget much. As it has been said before, there are no wrong answers. Some folks perceive value where others do not.
Cheers

I have to tell you for $100 a month I would have done it also. I have a London Aire and at the time they wanted almost $400 a month, and that quote was before my Newmar 12 month warranty ran out. I think you made a good decision.

We picked up the extended warranties on the appliances with our new coach - a/c, washer, dryer, refrigerator, etc. would not have in the house but being harder to get at it made sense to get those.

May extend the drive train before the new runs out but probably not the rest of the house.

My ex military maintenance and inspection checklist will hopefully catch anything and let me correct myself.

Give Forrest Hall at Americas RV Warranty a call.

(844) 200-7314

Little bit different since I fave a 5th wheel. Only used the warranty once. Had a stabilizer lock in down. Warranty paid for getting road service to get stabilizer raised then I was able to drive to Dealership where the leg was replaced.

Very quick service no out of pocket and no questions about coverage.

I inquired about an extended Freightliner warranty but decided to not follow through on it. The price they quoted me for a warranty that would take me through seven years of ownership told me the risk to them was minimal, so my risk was minimal as well.

I’ll find out later if I was wrong about that.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back