Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
On Memorial Day, I think it's wrong. One was an Amazon order, the other was USPS shipping supplies. I'm not for USPS or others working on a holiday like this. Some things have gone too far in the world of commerce in my opinion.

This reminds me when I was stationed in Germany in 1995'ish. I arrived on a Sunday and there they have a "Day of Rest" - certain things you can't do (at least where I was - Spangdahlem). Heck, I was afraid to go outside! Not supposed to hang laundry, wash cars, who knows. Saturdays are also limited in shopping mall hours, etc. It was weird but nice to have someone enforcing REST and RELAXATION. I wish we could have limitations such as this to allow people to live lives properly and not all be about commerce.

On Memorial Day, I think it's wrong. One was an Amazon order, the other was USPS shipping supplies. I'm not for USPS or others working on a holiday like this. Some things have gone too far in the world of commerce in my opinion.

This reminds me when I was stationed in Germany in 1995'ish. I arrived on a Sunday and there they have a "Day of Rest" - certain things you can't do (at least where I was - Spangdahlem). Heck, I was afraid to go outside! Not supposed to hang laundry, wash cars, who knows. Saturdays are also limited in shopping mall hours, etc. It was weird but nice to have someone enforcing REST and RELAXATION. I wish we could have limitations such as this to allow people to live lives properly and not all be about commerce.
I would bet that most of those delivery people who work on a holiday such as this have volunteered for the duty for a needed additional income source. Sad, but probably needed to feed their families. ?

I agree. Same with the deliveries we now get on Sundays. I’m sure it helps their income and feeding mouths. It’s just unfortunate. But in retrospect and in the current times people need anything they can so I am on board with helping those in need. Now if I can get the people to power wash my house already I’d be happy :)

I too was stationed in Germany, but in the late 80's. They only worked 1/2 day on Sat and no Sundays. I liked it. It reminded me of you childhood days when we did the same thing in the states. Also everything had to be closed by midnight unless you had a special permit. If yo were allowed to stay open (like Wine Steuben's) they were not allowed signage, or lights and no noise.

I agree. I have more regularly received deliveries on Sundays and also received a FedEx delivery on Memorial Day. I could understand if it was a perishable item but beyond that it’s gotten ridiculous. I don’t think that USPS should even be delivering on Saturday’s any longer. In today’s age of bill paying on-line etc. I don’t see the need and it would be a huge cost savings to the government. I do realize that for some the extra bucks is nice but we continue to blur the line between work/money and family time.

I believe USPS is closed on Sundays, but my understanding is they got a contract with FEDEX for one to deliver on Sundays. Apparently it is a pretty good contract.

Yes I understand that USPS is closed on Sunday. The term “Pretty good contact” is good for who? Certainly not for family time and who needs a delivery on Sunday. To me it’s just nuts. Just a continuing degradation of our society.....in my opinion. Please don’t take this as a personal attack of your post. Just my thoughts on the systems.

I did not think it as a personal attack at all. I agree with you and saying so in my first statement. When I said Pretty Good Contact, I meant to usps. It is the only way they are staying in the black is my understanding. However if we never had deliveries on Sat or Sun I would be ok with it.

Latest resources

Back