Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
My job is to entertain you right? Yeah, every leg out seems to be something. My very first camping trip in my new RV in 2017 I hit some road trash, unknowingly, and it severely damaged two basement doors. I got lucky in that Summit Stainless trim, which I love, covered the damage. Those doors are soft aluminum and do not take dings or road trash well.

Today heading north on I-85 heading to my halfway stop over returning home from my FL service I saw something in the road well ahead in my lane. It was moving, and hopefully would be out of my lane in time (if I wasn't lazy I'd pull the dash cam video, still may, I noted the time). It almost looked like a paper plate on its end so it seemed flimsy, then again it could be a 5 gallon bucket cover which would not be good. After my first run in, literally, with road trash I've always taken the stance of being aggressive in avoiding anything in the road. I had time to change lanes but didn't, I don't know why, well I do, I was tired from not sleeping well last night fighting a 7 month old yellow lab not happy being in her crate at midnight! So I stayed in my lane and went over it and it made a noise, yikes, that wasn't paper!

Now for the next part of the lesson, letting things go. Several times I've had something whether a bird strike, a curb rub, a lamp post kiss, you know, the usual, and I've wanted to pull over immediately and see what the damage is, or did I get lucky. I've had to learn to drive on, stopping now won't help it go away, it can wait. So it's been a good mental exercise in delaying the know. Arriving at my CG today I was happy to see I was given a pass on my poor judgment, no damage noted to the front, hopefully everything underneath is fine, and the toad cursory look is good.

Remember, beware of road trash, and be aggressive avoiding it as you are not as resistant as a car in handling these things.

You can see it about 9 seconds into the video. Rain makes it hard as wipers don't clear the view of the camera. Using a Blackvue DR900S-1CH

Latest resources

Back