Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

dcscamper

RVF Newbee
We are planning a trip from Florida to Grand Canyon South Rim. I am wondering the best route from the Phoenix area. I was recently in Sedona ( in a car) and some of the roads seemed quite steep with switch backs. I did not see any campers when we were there, (route 89) so I was assuming people with travel trailers used a different road to get to Williams and the south rim. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

We are planning a trip from Florida to Grand Canyon South Rim. I am wondering the best route from the Phoenix area. I was recently in Sedona ( in a car) and some of the roads seemed quite steep with switch backs. I did not see any campers when we were there, (route 89) so I was assuming people with travel trailers used a different road to get to Williams and the south rim. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
The most direct route is highway 17. You bypass Sedona (89a) so no switchbacks but the last time I was there (2 years ago) that road was one of the worst in Arizona. Super rough pavement buckles !! You will also find that from the Sedona area to Flagstaff it is one heck of a climb (about 3000 ft if I remember correctly). Do you need to start from the Phoenix area? I have not driven I 40 east of Winslow so can't comment on that route but there are points of interest worth checking out nearby along that route. The Painted Desert, Petrified Forest "Standing on the Corner" etc.

Sorry I can't be more helpfull.

Darrell

From Phoenix? I-17, I-40west is good road. No matter how you go it's a serious climb out of Phoenix. I keep track of transmission oil temperature and travel according to that one parameter.

Yes, 89a north out of Sedona you only do once in a Motor Home with a TOAD. Hopefully all goes well so you can pass that advise on to others :cool:.
If you noticed, the 89a switchbacks in many areas have no curbs nor shoulders. Steep drop offs. And the lanes are narrow. In a car it is not such a big deal, in a 40' motor home towing, it is very noticeable. :eek:

Rt 17, as suggested, is the preferred route north out of Phoenix.

Latest resources

Back