Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
Looking at a portable pellet grill and I really like the Green Mountain Davy Crockett as it meets all of my criteria. Apparently, it’s been replaced by the Trek which doesn‘t appear to be that portable and it weighs more. You have to buy either leg extensions or a cart that is expensive that takes up a lot of bay real estate. Is the trek that much better than the Davy Crockett to have to put the legs on each time to have a grill set up at a standing height? Hopefully our GMG ambassadors @Neal and @J&JD will share their opinions.

Wow…looks like GMG has made wholesale changes in its pellet grill line. The historical name format may have become a politically correctness issue in today’s world. It does look like there have been some minor mechanical changes (aka “improvements” per GMG).

We still really like our Recteq RT-340 pellet grill, but it does weigh a few pounds more than the Trek. I think the additional weight is offset by a pair of nice handles, one on each end, that make it a breeze for two people to load and unload. YMMV

TJ

@TJ&LadyDi As the Rec Tec ambassador, I have a question for you, what is required to stow or remove from the MADP bay. It looks like from pictures the legs may fold? I did look at the Rec Tec as well because they have a good reputation.

Yes, the legs do fold; one on top of the other and lock in place. The grill can also be used in the folded position, if desired, like on a picnic table, etc. It can be used that way on the ground as well, but that involves a lot of bending over to tend the food.

The easiest way to fold/extend the legs is to lay the grill on its side. Not as hard as it sounds and the pellet hopper has a latch to keep them from falling out when you do. We use a folded ground cover that we carry in the coach anyway to lay the grill on when folding. A piece of cardboard also works fine. As I said, it sounds harder to do than it actually is.

With some practice, the legs can be folded while the grill is in the upright position, but requires two people and a a bit of manual dexterity. Certainly not as easy as just laying it down, which I can easily do by myself.

TJ

Looking at a portable pellet grill and I really like the Green Mountain Davy Crockett as it meets all of my criteria. Apparently, it’s been replaced by the Trek which doesn‘t appear to be that portable and it weighs more. You have to buy either leg extensions or a cart that is expensive that takes up a lot of bay real estate. Is the trek that much better than the Davy Crockett to have to put the legs on each time to have a grill set up at a standing height? Hopefully our GMG ambassadors @Neal and @J&JD will share their opinions.

Sorry @sheridany, we only have the standard version not the portable one. Love the one at our s&b place, use it all the time. Just don’t think we want to get involved with carrying another piece of equipment in the coach.

@sheridany see if there is a local GMG dealer near you and they may have the DC in stock. The DC is the only one you could buy on Amazon, etc. as all others have to be bought from dealers.

Latest resources

Back