• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

BethB

RVF Newbee
Hi all,
New member here. I have had my 5th wheel- Coachman brookstone for about 6 years. My wife recently had a leg amputation. She is not able to get to the master bedroom or the shower as they are up about 3 stairs. I have tried various ramps with no luck. At home we have a stairlift to the second floor. I just purchased a short 3-4 stairs stairlift that should fit fine in my RV. My question is think I need to reinforce the flooring where the track attaches to the steps. Trying to see if anyone has done something similar or has any ideas for the installation.

Thank you!
Beth

There are not many options for accessible RV living. To your question, Yes reinforce any modifications more than you think is necessary. Nothing ruins a camping trip faster than malfunctioning equipment.

There are some purpose built accessible RVs such as the one we purchased, Newmar CanyonStar 3911. The benefit of a Newmar accessible unit is you get years of users suggestions with proper engineering built into the unit.

I am restricted to a wheelchair but operate the RV is most campgrounds without issue.

If you care to see the unit I have done some videos about it.

Thank you! I am looking for places to reinforce the lift. I'm pretty sure I can make this work. We have our RV stationary so weight doesn't really matter. Best of luck to you and that's for the response.

Beth

Thank you! I am looking for places to reinforce the lift. I'm pretty sure I can make this work. We have our RV stationary so weight doesn't really matter. Best of luck to you and that's for the response.

Beth

Did you ever do this? Did it work out? I use a walker inside our travel trailer and have a lift to get me inside the rv but we want a fifth wheel but those damn steps to bed and bath are stopping us. I don’t need a toy hauler or full wheelchair access but I need a way to get up those steps. I use a stair lift at home also. Just curious cause I haven’t seen anyone suggest that or do it and I kept thinking is there a reason?!?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back