• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Harris Ranch Coalinga, CA

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Hmmm...we're regular customers of Harris Ranch over the years (live on the Central CA Coast) ...I find it no surprise they are considering an RV park. I certainly don't fault them and one thing for sure, it'll be "well done" 😉

Maybe something like this...

It’s becoming a huge travel centre. There are over 100 Tesla V2 and V3 Superchargers there including some with pull thru trailer slots. And apparently the long term plan is to install some mega chargers. An RV park would be a great addition for the overnight travelling crowd.

The last time I pulled into Harris recently was a Sunday night and there were more teslas charging up than you could imagine at the new charger area. People used to wait like 20-30 minutes in peak times when the chargers were in the corner of the hotel parking lot. Friday and Sunday is lots of Tesla’s traveling between LA and SF thus creating the demand. It’s only going to get busier when they open the network to other non teslas.

I’m so out of touch….But I will definitely use their RV park when its up and running. I have a couple stopovers I use when heading south, such as the Visalia KOA on 99, but I’m not particularly fond of any of them. And I agree - a Harris RV park would be done right.

The last time I pulled into Harris recently was a Sunday night and there were more teslas charging up than you could imagine at the new charger area. People used to wait like 20-30 minutes in peak times when the chargers were in the corner of the hotel parking lot. Friday and Sunday is lots of Tesla’s traveling between LA and SF thus creating the demand. It’s only going to get busier when they open the network to other non teslas.
That might be awhile. So far Tesla is pretty mum about those plans. And the only CCS compatible superchargers are V4’s and there are only two of those in the US (under construction) and none in Canada. And although it hasn’t been confirmed it looks like neither of those V4 locations have CCS cables. We’ll probably find out next month. It’s not a simple switch. Lots of hardware and software updates required to make a supercharger CCS1 compatible.

What a flashback - I taught a 2 week class in the Harris Ranch complex back in '06. I remember when I stepped outside to grab a smoke (back when I smoked) and the wind was blowing the right way, all you could smell was cow poop - WOW!! They called it "the smell of money". I drove up the freeway on the weekend and saw a super humongous feed lot - thousands of cattle walking around in knee deep poop :oops:
Well, stupid me pulled over to take pics. The closer the cattle got to the feed troughs, the deeper the "mud" got.
100_0653.JPG
100_0656.JPG

Once I got out of the car and took a breath - whooooooa, the urine smell hit me. I snapped these pics and then ran for the car. I headed back to the freeway and headed back toward the Harris Ranch with the windows down and barely got the smell out of the car.
Another teaching trip to that area was to teach at the prison where Charles Manson was being held - Corcoran, CA. It was a 70 mile drive from the closest decent hotel. Tule fog was exactly as they said. I couldn't see the front of my car yet people were flying by me on the freeway like they had super vision. Dangerous for sure. The prison was so far off the freeway that I got used to landmarks to turn at but in that fog, and driving at 25mph, I got to see all the ditches and other non-landmarks along the way I missed. I was amazed.

Attachments

• 100_0654.JPG
    100_0654.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
That feed lot is still there and just as aromatic as ever. When you pass it on I 5 heading north there’s no stopping it from wafting into the drivers compartment especially with the ac on in the heat of summer.

I used to make the trek from Monterey Park to Visalia every week or two when I was working for SoCal GAS.. it was a good day when the wind was still or blowing the other way...whatever magic kept the stench down.....

Harris Ranch beef is renown as high quality. Grass fed beef from around the State are brought to Harris Ranch Feed Lot to finish off before being processed. Yup...it can get pretty ripe in the neighborhood 😉

@Rich W. consider yourself lucky you were able to pull in there and stay. The last two times I was there it was packed and could not stay at Harris. You can go across the freeway and park on the street behind the McDonald’s if Harris has no room. Easy in and out. You are right once that park opens no more free parking. I’ll still stop there as it’s the perfect overnight stopping point on I5 for me.
That was Dec 22 at 6pm too and I expected it to be busier, but it was actually pretty quiet. I had a couple contingency plans but fortunately didn’t need them. I didn’t know about the area on the west side so I’ll add it to my list of back-ups. (y)

Latest resources

Back