Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Has anyone worked or replaced a generator Cummins Onan 2.8HGJBB? (Roadtrek Popular 190)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rcindallas

RVF Regular
Our Roadtrek Popular 190 2003 generator will crank but not start, and it is a very difficult-to-work on model (Onan 2.8hGJBB-1120A). It will crank, but not start. So far we have: replaced the fuel filter, soaked & cleaned the carburetor (as best we can; it is not designed to be taken apart and rebuilt), and replaced the spark plug. It is firing and cranking, but will not catch and start. Has anyone tackled this particular model? I have not found a replacement carburetor (OEM costs $900+) but was wondering if there is another similar model that can be adapted. I believe the carburetor part number is A043K683.

Or if the generator is toast, what have people replaced it with? Considering a Honda 2200, but wondering how to carry it; has anyone mounted a portable in the original cabinet of the built-in?

Everything is a compromise! However you're dealing with a 2800w generator, so I suggest sticking with one the same or slightly larger in capacity.

thanks! I wonder if you can find a portable one of the same size that will fit... space is tight in there! We have replaced the AC and it is now a 5000 btu so our wattage needs may be less.

Sounds like a window unit! Has it worked for you?

If efficiency is good then yes it will work with smaller gen.

I have a friend with similar btu unit that just moved to a larger generator. Not because the old one would not do the job, but they used it to much when new!

The new Medea window unit has my eye. It will run on solar fairly well.

As far as what fits,you will need to get your tape measure out and measure! I went solar years ago and have not looked back!!!

At this time half my solar is disabled,and have not had issues with things not keeping up. So, My system works fine on 1000watts of solar.

Some here may call me on that statement, but it's true! Although I actually have 3000 watts of panels,1000 got left behind for summer travel. Due to some system failures, I am modifying the system, so have some panels out of the system!!! This is giving me a reality check!

Guess what I am saying is!

With a Medea A/C I think 1000 watts of solar on the roof, may fill your needs with even a really small, let's say 1000 watt generator. Easily stowed in the gen compartment. Then using an inverter appropriately sized to run your house loads!

That is what I did before going totally solar!!!

Sometimes changing plans midstream, like replacing something you just installed (A/C)! can save money,even in the short term!

thanks, but yes it is a new window unit (with extra buffering for the ride) and we are really happy with it so not looking to replace it. The 5000 btu size appears to be perfect for this space. We have determined that 2000W is sufficient for our needs, so looking to fix our current generator (2800W) or replace it with something in the 2000 to 2200W range.

Our Roadtrek Popular 190 2003 generator will crank but not start, and it is a very difficult-to-work on model (Onan 2.8hGJBB-1120A). It will crank, but not start. So far we have: replaced the fuel filter, soaked & cleaned the carburetor (as best we can; it is not designed to be taken apart and rebuilt), and replaced the spark plug. It is firing and cranking, but will not catch and start. Has anyone tackled this particular model? I have not found a replacement carburetor (OEM costs $900+) but was wondering if there is another similar model that can be adapted. I believe the carburetor part number is A043K683.

Or if the generator is toast, what have people replaced it with? Considering a Honda 2200, but wondering how to carry it; has anyone mounted a portable in the original cabinet of the built-in?
I cannot help with it not starting but I can help if it will not keep running. for over a year, mine would not keep running. Had it looked at many times and was told it was fixed. WRONG! I saw a post on YouTube concerning the problem. Tried it, it now has worked for about four years. How problem was fixed? DO NOT fill oil to full. Supposedly onan made dipstick wrong. I drained the oil down to just below halfway on the dipstick. This is all I did, now runs great.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back