Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Having issues with our blue ox tow bar locking when trying to unhook the truck. Anyone have solutions?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Bookin Bankers

RVF Newbee
Having issues with our Blue Ox towbar arms not unlocking when we are trying to unhook the truck. We just did maintenance on the arms today directed by a video from Blue Ox. I don't think this has anything to do with the arms seizing and not being able to release it using the levers. Any suggestions?

I don't have any experience with Blue ox, but have had this happen a few times on my road master. The cause was debris on the internal portion of the latch. Doesn't help when connected.

My solution for the RM to get disconnected was to slowly push the tow vehicle towards the RV to create pressure towards the close. I was then able to release the arms.

Once released, it is time to do the full cleaning procedure for the tow bar, which from RM required full disassembly. As I don't have any experience with Blue Ox, you should probably solicit their direct advice on full cleaning.

Use caution when pushing the tow vehicle forward. I use drive, and very little skinny pedal. Usual a touch above idle just to create some pressure. Make sure you are applying equal pressure to both sides of the arm.

When they are locked up, make sure you are on a level surface and are as straight with your tow vehicle and MH as possible. Get in your tow vechicle no brake on and turn your wheels all the way to the right, try and unlock. If that doesn't work turn you wheels of the tow vechicle all the way to the left, try and unlock. Sometimes put in drive and move forward an inch. Remember you must be level and STRAIGHT no binding.

HH

I have noticed when my Blue OX arms are fully extended and locked after towing, they can be difficult to unlock if not perfectly flat and straight (how often does that happen pulling into a site??). Once I have gotten to the ready to unhook stage, I have found by starting the tow vehicle and putting it into drive, let off the brake I will get a very slight forward movement that seems to unbind the whole system. Put it back in park and get out and proceed to unhook. This also unbinds the pins locking the arms into the base plate adapters. Obviously you can't put a lot of strain on the system this way without causing damage, but relieving that fraction of an inch it has worked for me for the last year or so. Good luck!

Looks like headhunter and I were typing at the same time!

I’ve fought mine a few times and finally realized rocking the toad back and forth usually takes the tension off, but turning the wheels lock to lock is a new one for me and I’ll try it next time too.

Yeah, it's in a bind. Nothing wrong with the tow bar. Have your spouse put the car in neutral after starting it. Then let off the brake momentarily while you hold the lever down. Most of the time when you put the car in neutral it will "relax" and release the bind that is causing the problem.

Having issues with our Blue Ox towbar arms not unlocking when we are trying to unhook the truck. We just did maintenance on the arms today directed by a video from Blue Ox. I don't think this has anything to do with the arms seizing and not being able to release it using the levers. Any suggestions?
Can you post a link to the video? I jist serviced mine and it would be interesting to see if there are any differences between what I did and what is recommended.

Now that I’ve had it opened up and know how the locking mechanisms work, its easy to understand why it seems locked up under certain conditions.

Latest resources

Back