Forest River
RV Model
Palomino Puma unleashed 383ss
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
F350
Fulltimer
Yes
I ended up in the emergency room last night with what I thought was a heart attack, the doctors first guess was ventricular fibrillation. Or something along those lines. An x-ray and test showed elevated d-dimer levels and a CT with contrast later discovered a mass in my lung. All road trips are on the back burner, even going back to Oregon for the funeral and estate lawyers. I’ve been grounded until I can have surgery, biopsy and fix the clotting issues.

Yes I put off the insurance thing so now before I start making appointments which I need to do quick I need to pick some up. Would it just be easier to become a Missouri resident and get their state aide, or do I get Oregon’s aide and say look I have to be treated here because I’ve been grounded.

I have enough equity from my house sell to live comfortably for a year or more (on a budget of course) but I don’t want health expenses to eat all that up because I haven’t decided what I want to be when I grow up and the money I have is supposed to give me time to figure that part out.

Any and all advice is welcome. You can even say i told you so about not getting health insurance before leaving home.

It’s been a craptastic couple of years.

I'm sorry to hear of the emergency but glad you're doing okay. I don't know the answers to your questions, the other question is how long does it take to establish residency, i.e. do you have to have an address for 6 months and how does that affect your care? Hopefully someone else here smarter on this can help.

We, too, are sorry for what has happened to you. Prayers for a good resolution.

I think @Neal raised the key issue; where are you “domiciled” (your official residence)? That’s probably in the state that has issued your driver’s license, where you are registered to vote, where you own property, where your RV is licensed, etc. Your ”domicile” will probably determine where you need to apply for insurance. If that’s not in the state you are currently in, contact the health department in your domicile state and explain that you are a resident of that state, but are temporarily out of state, experiencing health issues and need insurance. They should be able to guide you through the process.

TJ

I left my address with my daughter back in Oregon when I moved her into her apartment because I wanted to keep her college tuition instate where as if I “move” while she’s a dependent she’ll be paying out of state tuition (my goal is to not have her adult life start out with a lot of loans/debt). I’ve been kinda waiting to see if she wants to relocate, she’s somehow has a wild hair to leave home (I can’t imagine why). The only thing I dislike about Oregon is a lifetime of clouded memories, the state is great but I really like the idea of a fresh start.

I have ran both scenarios over in a my head a few times about Oregon health and my need to sit still while treated and seeing what it takes to get insurance here. Never in a million years would I have guess I’d be hanging out in Missouri for so long. I mean I really did love the ozarks but so far the highlight about living 40 minutes south of Kansas City is last nights firefly show in the field across from the rv park. Well and I’ve made a few friends thanks to my habit of feeding strangers.

This RV adventure has turned into the makings of a real hero’s journey. My aunt passing, inheriting my mother (oh yeah she’s coming to stay with me) and now my health issues. I should be able to make a fortune with the movie. Or at least a good sitcom.

I’ll start making phone calls when business hours wake up again.

Latest resources

Back