Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI Heat vs. Resettable Fuses (spoiler: the fuse lost)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

CaptainGizmo

RVF Expert
SoCal...relax, we're one of the good ones! ;-)
RV Year
RV Make
Newell
RV Model
2020P
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2017 Ford F-150 Raptor w/AF1 Braking
Fulltimer
No
On a Newell Coach, a spiffy type of fuse is used, called a Resettable Fuse. These can be reset either automatically, or manually. Unfortunately, these don't make very good solutions when it comes to extreme heat. I found this out during my drive through the desert to St. George, where the temps were in excess of 115º.

I made a video to describe what happened, along with what I've done as the remedy.

Resettable Fuses and Extreme Heat Problems Video

A good point to make, as we continue to find electrical gremlins, is that many components on a coach are protected with resettable fuses. We believe that some oddities are related to the brutal heat our coach is enduring these summer months.

I suspect that many other coaches may experience the same heat-related problems.

Steve, I see the CB cabinet has a very well sealed door = zero ventilation and heat build up.
How about removing the door, or installing a small computer fan with heat activated switch on the door?
None of the CB panels on the DS has such a watertight sealed doors.
Just think’n ?

Steve, I see the CB cabinet has a very well sealed door = zero ventilation and heat build up.
How about removing the door, or installing a small computer fan with heat activated switch on the door?
None of the CB panels on the DS has such a watertight sealed doors.
Just think’n ?
Hey there; thanks for thinkin. But, first of all, that entire electronics overhead cabinet is air conditioned and vented across the bottom. (My DS was horrible and non vented at all.)

But the issues coming from heat are in other places such as the load center in the engine bay, the electrical bay, and even the door mechanics.

So, in this case, “electronics” aren’t the problem children as usual; it’s their evil “electrical” cousins! ?

Last edited:
OK, now who is detailing your engine? It looks like just came out of the showroom ? You must wear sunglasses to look at it?

I cannot tell a lie,
For it is 3 people
Me, myself, and I.

But Newell gave me a headstart by building a spectacular engine bay to start with!!

Attachments

• 29CEAA4F-C13E-4137-A951-DAA200BA59D3.jpeg
    29CEAA4F-C13E-4137-A951-DAA200BA59D3.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 69DA67E8-0799-4C28-B203-3BB4A717F96A.jpeg
    69DA67E8-0799-4C28-B203-3BB4A717F96A.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 36
On a Newell Coach, a spiffy type of fuse is used, called a Resettable Fuse. These can be reset either automatically, or manually. Unfortunately, these don't make very good solutions when it comes to extreme heat. I found this out during my drive through the desert to St. George, where the temps were in excess of 115º.

I made a video to describe what happened, along with what I've done as the remedy.

Resettable Fuses and Extreme Heat Problems Video
At Newell at this very moment. There is a recall campaign to replace the resettables with regular fuses. Was done yesterday. Newell 1608

Like you said in the video, the problem is a poor location for the box!!! Save those fuses, nothing wrong with them!!!

Latest resources

Back