Thor
RV Model
Windsport 31D
RV Length
Chassis
Ford
Engine
V10 8.8l
I have a 2011 Thor windsport 31' we are thinking of spending winter on Vancouver island. Does anyone have an idea on how long the propane on board would last aprox? If anyone has done it how did you heat. We may try some boon docking.as you can tell I am new to this.thank's Tux

The propane will last considerably longer than your battery power when boondocking. The fridge, furnace, and water heater all use propane and battery power, but that furnace fan is really the power hog on the batteries.

Roger

If you look at how many btu's/hr your appliances use, and divide that number by 91,500, the number of btu's in a gallon of propane and multiply by the number of gallons you carry you will know. But that would be running full tilt 24/7. Still a useful exercise to get to know your limits.

If we are not boondocking we supplement the gas heat with small electric heaters. This extends the LP considerably. Obviously Boondocking we use the LP

I have a 2011 Thor windsport 31' we are thinking of spending winter on Vancouver island. Does anyone have an idea on how long the propane on board would last aprox? If anyone has done it how did you heat. We may try some boon docking.as you can tell I am new to this.thank's Tux
Greetings Tux. We lived on the island for about 7 years. Depending on where you plan to be on being on the island, good luck finding a place to boondock. Much of the vehicle accessible land is leased by logging companies thus is not available to use even though it is crown land. Public Access to Crown Land - Activity Guidance - Natural Resource Online Services. There are very few places for long term boondocking. Perhaps this site will help. Free Camping Near You | Go Camping for Free!
I strongly suspect you will be using a considerable amount of heat even though it does not get as cold there as the rest of Canada. It rarely snows south of the Malahat but no matter where you will be, it will be like living in a cool rain forest. You may want to look into getting a "dehumidifier" for your coach. You will decrease the chance of mold growing by using one.

We have been away from the island for about 6 years now thus I can not tell you about long term availability with any accuracy. It used to be that most of the desirable parks were solidly booked for the winter. Be careful if and when you do choose a park. Read reviews from folks that used them during the winter months as many turn into mud pits (The island doesn't get much rain during the summer so summer reviews will not tell the winter story).

If you have any questions, I will be pleased to assist any way I can.

Safe travels

Darrell

Latest resources

Back